Academic Programs & Opportunities
Bates is committed to the success of every student. The faculty believes that every student is a scholar, and so creates many opportunities for students to hone their skills and conduct their own research. The academic program at Bates is rigorous, but the College has many academic resources designed to support student learning. The links below provide information on research opportunities as well as connections to valuable academic support resources.
Enrichment & Support
- Bates Summer Scholars Program–Math and science for incoming first years.
- Dana Scholars–Highest honor bestowed on selected first-year students
- Harward Center for Community Partnerships–Service to others in schools, businesses, and hospitals, as well as social service, environmental, and governmental agencies
- First-Year Academics–Embark on the intellectual adventure designed to foster critical thinking, challenge you, and be fun
- Honors Program–An opportunity for students to do extensive independent study and research in their major fields
- Mount David Summit–Students present research service-learning and creative work in many venues
- Off-campus Study–Find out why so many Bates students study abroad
- Senior Thesis–A significant research, service, performance, or studio project in the final year of study in the major
- Short Term–A variety of educational programs that cannot be offered in the regular semesters
- Sophomore Hub–Navigate important developments of the sophomore year
- Student Research–Student research opportunities: grant and community-based learning