The Ruggles Scholars Program is overseen by the Student Research Committee
Application Deadline: 2 March 2015 Student Research General Application
The Ruggles Scholars Program supports pre-thesis research in the humanities, social sciences, and interdisciplinary programs. The program was established through generous gifts from
Robert T. and Francine Pare Ruggles, parents of Anne Ruggles Pariser, M.D. ’83.
The Ruggles Scholar is expected to work on a pre-thesis research project full time (approximately 40 hours per week) for eight to ten weeks during the summer. The research projects are usually undertaken under the direction of a Bates faculty advisor, however in some cases the summer work may be advised by a specialist from another institution, as long as the student’s presumed thesis advisor has indicated support for the proposal.
The grant includes $3,500 support.
The Ruggles Scholarship is available to members of the junior class only. Preference is given to students majoring and conducting research in the humanities, the social sciences, and the interdisciplinary programs. Two Ruggles Scholarships will be awarded.
Students applying for a Ruggles Scholarship should complete the following:
(1) an application form for STUDENT RESEARCH GRANTS (available in the Office of the Dean of the Faculty, 121 Lane Hall or online.
(2) On a separate sheet, the applicant should provide a one-paragraph abstract describing the research questions and project goals.
(3) a project description of NOT MORE THAN 2 DOUBLE-SPACED pages outlining methodology and timetable, relevance to the student’s academic program, and the student’s qualifications for the research.
(4) a short list of bibliographic resources (4-5 references).
Letters of Support. The proposal must be accompanied by a letter of support from the project advisor, usually a Bates faculty member. If the summer project advisor is NOT a Bates faculty member, a letter of support is required from the off-campus advisor in addition to a letter of recommendation from a Bates faculty member. Letters of support are due the same day as the application deadline.
Proposals for the Ruggles Scholars Program are reviewed by the Student Research Committee, which bases its selection on the qualifications of the student, the feasibility of the project, and the demonstrated student initiative evidenced in the project design.PLEASE submit your ORIGINAL PAPERWORK AND 4 COPIES of the APPLICATION FORM AND 4 COPIES of the ENTIRE PROPOSAL for a TOTAL OF 5 COMPLETE PACKETS.
More Important Information
- Because the goal of summer grant programs is to contribute to a student’s academic success and persistence at Bates, all summer funding is contingent upon a student maintaining a G.P.A. of at least 2.0.
- You can not use research grant funding to participate in a credit-earning summer academic program or receive academic credit for summer research.
- This is a research project that involves a full-time (up to 40 hours per week) commitment for eight to ten weeks; therefore you cannot earn additional funds at the College.
- Ruggles Scholar Grant recipients are expected to submit an abstract and a brief progress (two pages) report on their work to the Dean of the Faculty’s Office within two weeks of finishing their project.
- All students are required to present their research during the Parents Weekend Poster Session unless they are studying off campus in the fall. Online registration is also required to be submitted within 2 weeks of the completion of the project (i.e., the last day of your contract). If you are off campus in the fall, it is your responsibility to inform Alison Keegan (firstname.lastname@example.org) of your situation.
- Any future grants from this office are contingent upon these requirements.