When preparing to apply to Bates, consider visiting the campus and meeting with an admission counselor. It’s the best way to get a personal view of Bates.
Please note that there are special application requirements for transfer students and international students.
Here are the procedures and materials that U.S. citizens use to apply to Bates:
1. The Common Application
- Go to CommonApp.org to create an account and start filling out your Common Application. The Common Application must be submitted online.
2. Bates Member Page to the Common Application
- Add Bates to your “My Colleges” list on the Common Application website.
- Submit the essay included in the Member Page. The essay asks you to consider the Bates Mission statement in your response to “What draws you to Bates?”
3. Two teacher recommendations and a counselor recommendation
- Forms are included in the Common Application.
4. Arts Supplement (optional)
5. Standardized Test Scores (optional)
6. Early Decision Agreement
7. Submit a nonrefundable $60 application fee (part of the Common Application)
- If the fee is a financial hardship, your guidance counselor can submit a College Board “Request for Fee Waiver” with your application.
- If you are not a United States citizen, you are not required to submit a fee or fee waiver request.
8. Apply for Financial Aid