Living in a vibrant community
Education and housing
We take a cohesive approach to education and housing at Bates by creating living environments conducive to learning. Residential houses and halls are vibrant communities that provide social and intellectual life beyond the classroom. Housing options at Bates range from small and cozy to big and bustling. Each residence has its own personality and flavor. On-campus housing is guaranteed for all four years.
Selecting your housing
Once enrolled at Bates, you’ll receive a selection sheet where you can specify a variety of housing preferences. These preferences include building type, smoking/allergy status, visitation, tidiness, extroversion, sociability, sleep schedule, temperature and even music.
Residence Life program
We’ll help you build strong connections within your first year. Each semester your Residence Adviser will host six programs, three of which will fit an educational theme. The goal of these Residence Life programs is to support your personal growth through critical thinking and social engagement beyond the classroom. Check out some recent programs:
- Study Abroad Panel: Students who have studied abroad share their experiences
- Stress Management Workshop: Sample stress management techniques from the typical to Play-Doh
- Get-to-Know-Campus Scavenger Hunt: To orient you and your floormates with the campus in a fun, hands-on way
- Re-Use, Re-Build, Reward Recycling Program: Create art representing Bates by using materials solicited through a can and bottle drive
- Tie Dye!: Expressions with Paint
- S’moresque: A community-building program making s’mores on the grill