Lewiston School Department records, 1851-1984, n.d.

Abstract

The collection contains the early administrative, registrarial and financial records of the Lewiston School Department. The bulk of the records date from the late nineteenth to early twenieth century and document such important developments as the establishment of one of the earliest public Kindergarten classes in the country and the progressive policy begun in the 1870s of providing all textbooks and supplies to students at no cost. The collection contains annual reports beginning in 1851 which document curricular and policy changes, the development of individual schools, and attendance, standards and outcomes.