Bates women’s track and field second at USM Invite
GORHAM, Maine — The Bates College women’s track and field team placed second out of six teams in the USM Co-ed Invitational Saturday at the University of Southern Maine. The Bobcats scored 164 points, outpacing Smith (81), Emmanuel (58), UMass-Dartmouth (48) and Rhode Island College (40), and losing to the host Huskies (216).
Senior co-captain Ashley Wentworth (North Andover, Mass.) highlighted the Bobcats’ day, returning from inaction due to nagging injuries with a winning performance in the 800 meters. Wentworth’s time of 2:20.93 is the third best all-time by a Bates runner, and qualified her to compete at the New England Open championships, and therefore for the New England Division III championships and ECAC championships as well.
Other big performances for Bates included:
- Senior Keelin Godsey (Parker, Colo.), who took first place in the shot put (41-11.5) and weight throw (60-5.5). Sophomore thrower Cassandra Kirkland (Greene, Maine) qualified for New Englands with her fifth-place weight throw of 42-11.
- In the pole vault, sophomore Laura Golitko (Hopkinton, Mass.) and junior Julie Shelkey (Conway, Mass.) were second and third, respectively, at 10-0 and 9-7.
- Senior Kathleen Nugent (Buxton, Maine) was second in the high jump (5-0) and third in the 55-meter hurdles (9.35).
- First-year Andrea Bisceglia (Durham, Conn.) placed second in the 1-mile run, in 5:33.38.
- Sophomore Amy Rosania (Rye Beach, N.H.) was second in the 600 (1:46.11).
- Senior Danielle Touhey (Franklin, Mass.) was third in the 200 (28.25).
- First-year Tara Higgins (Hyde Park, Vt.) was third in the 400 (1:06.87).
- First-years Krista Stafstrom (Dekalb, Ill.) and Allie Goldstein (Needham, Mass.) were second and third, respectively, in the 3,000, at 11:41.05 and 11:51.59.
- Bates also won the 4×400 (Touhey, Wentworth, Nugent and Higgins) and 4×800 (Izzy Alexander, Bisceglia, Rosania and Elizabeth Scannell) relay races, in 4:15.05 and 10:41.72.
Bates will host the State of Maine Championships at Merrill Gymnasium on Friday at 6 p.m.