Men’s tennis team scores 4-3 victory at The College of New Jersey
EWING, N.J. — Bates College handed the Lions of The College of New Jersey a 4-3 loss in men’s tennis on Wednesday in the Lions’ regular-season finale. The loss snaps a win streak for the Lions and puts TCNJ at 8-4 on the year, while Bates improves to 7-7.
DOUBLES (TCNJ Wins best 2 of 3 in doubles, takes 1 team point)
1. BC’s William Boe-Wiegaard/Tristan Beach d. Justin Cook/Ryan Carty, 8-1
2. TCNJ’s Roger Mosteller/Michael Klimchak d. Greg Little/Josh Feinberg, 8-3
3. TCNJ’s Corey Ball/Eric Ferriere d. Benjamin Stein/Patrick Conway, 9-7
1. BC’s Boe-Wiegaard d. Carty, 6-4, 7-6 (3)
2. TCNJ’s Klimchak d. Beach, 6-1, 6-0
3. TCNJ’s Mosteller d. Little, 6-4, 6-0
4. BC’s Michael Sherman d. Ferriere, 6-2, 6-4
5. BC’s Stein d. Sonnie Pollosco, 6-3, 6-3
6. BC’s Conway d. Corey Ball, 6-3, 6-1
In a key match-up of 2005 NCAA Tournament singles players, Bates senior William Boe-Wiegaard (Georgetown, Conn.) defeated TCNJ’s senior Ryan Carty, 6-4, 7-6(3). A three-time All-American in singles, Boe-Wiegaard teamed at first doubles with senior Tristan Beach (Grand Rapids, Mich.) to hand the Lions’ top doubles tandem of Carty and Cook an 8-1 loss.
At No. 2 singles, sophomore Michael Klimchak (Clark, N.J.) was victorious with a 6-1, 6-0 decision. Klimchak and freshman Roger Mosteller (Medford Lakes, N.J.) teamed to post an 8-3 win at No. 2 doubles as the pair is now 9-0 this spring and 15-3 overall with one another. Mosteller was a winner as well for TCNJ with a 6-4, 6-0 win over Bates’ junior Greg Little (Portsmouth, N.H.).
At No. 4 singles, Bates’ freshman Michael Sherman (Huntington, N.Y.) handed TCNJ’s sophomore Eric Ferriere (Branchville, N.J.) his first dual meet singles loss of the year after he posted a 6-2, 6-4 win. Ferriere drops to 11-1 on the year with Wednesday’s loss.
Bates plays at Trinity College Thursday at 3 p.m.