Men’s tennis team defeated at Wiliams in NCAA tournament
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. — The Williams College Ephs won their NCAA Division III Men’s Tennis Championship first round match against Bates College Saturday afternoon, 4-0. By NCAA rule, the match was played only to determination.
The Ephs opened play by dominating doubles for a 1-0 lead. At No. 1, the Ephs’ Scott MacKenzie and Gary Simonette teamed up for an 8-4 win over the Bobcats’ Will Boe-Wiegaard (Georgetown, Conn.) and Tristan Beach (Grand Rapids, Mich.). At No. 2, Jeff Kivitz and Bret Thacher gave Williams a 8-3 win over Greg Little (Portsmouth, N.H.) and Josh Feinberg (The Woodlands, Texas), to give the Ephs the opening point, and deem the No. 3 match unnecessary to play.
In singles play, the Ephs won the first three matches to finish, at No. 3, 4, and 6. At No. 3, Kivitz downed Little, 6-0, 6-0, while teammate Simonette won at No. 4 over Bates first-year Mike Sherman (Huntington, N.Y.), 6-1, 6-3. Bryan Monier sealed the win for the Ephs, winning 6-1, 6-0 at No. 6 over junior Pat Conway (Portland, Maine). The remainder of the singles matches did not finish, as the Ephs had already clinched the win.
Williams will play the winner of today’s match-up between Trinity and Bowdoin, tomorrow at noon.
Williams 4, Bates 0
NCAA Div. III First Round
Saturday, May 6, 2006
1. Scott MacKenzie/Gary Simonette (W) def. Will Boe-Wiegaard/Tristan Beach (B) 8-4
2. Jeff Kivitz/Bret Thacher (W) def. Greg Little/Feinberg (B) 8-3
3. Dan Greenberg/Bryan Monier (W) vs. Ben Stein/Pat Conway (B) DNF
1. Dan Greenberg (W) vs. Will Boe-Wiegaard (B) DNF
2. Scott MacKenzie (W) vs. Tristan Beach (B) DNF
3. Jeff Kivitz (W) def. Greg Little (B) 6-0, 6-0
4. Gary Simonette (W) def. Mike Sherman (B) 6-1, 6-3
5. Ted Haley (W) vs. Ben Stein (B) DNF
6. Bryan Monier (W) def. Pat Conway (B) 6-1, 6-0