Caban, Duncan, Hartung win events for women’s track team
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — A wealth of top-notch performances marked the Bates women’s track and field team’s efforts in Saturday’s four-team meet at MIT including Colby, MIT and Colby-Sawyer.
Bates received first-place finishes in three events en route to a third place team finish with 161 points.
Senior Jennifer Caban (Bedford, Mass.) won the 800 meters with a time of 2:21.01, qualifying her to compete at the NESCAC and New England Division III championships.
First-year Vantiel Elizabeth Duncan (Topsham, Maine) won the shot put at 37 feet, 7 1/4 inches.
First-year Lisa Hartung (Farmington, Maine) won the 400 meters in 1:02.10, heading Bates’ 1-2-3 finish along with junior Amy Rosania (Rye Beach, N.H.) in 1:03.73 and sophomore Tara Higgins (Jeffersonville, Vt.) in 1:04.02.
Other Bates highlights included:
- Senior Kathryn Moore (Pelham, N.H.) earned provisional qualification for the NCAA Division III championships in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, where she finished second in 10:52.9;
- First-year Katie Bash (Wallingford, Pa.) finished second in the 1,500 meters in 4:52.67.
- Sophomore Jen Marino (Methuen, Mass.) finished second in both the long jump (15-07.50) and triple jump (34-00.25);
- Senior Julie Shelkey (Conway, Mass.) registered a pole vault of 9-11.75, good for third place;
- Senior Rebecca Westlake (Goldens Bridge, N.Y.) had very good times in the 100- and 200-meter dashes, finishing fourth and fifth in 13.77 and 28.35 seconds, respectively;
- The 4×400 relay team of Higgins, Rosania, Caban and sophomore Izzy Alexander (Harvard, Mass.) placed second at 4:11.1.
Bates competes next Saturday at the Aloha Relays at Bowdoin.