Men’s tennis team beats MIT handily, 8-1
LEWISTON, Maine — The Bates College men’s tennis team rolled to an 8-1 victory over visiting MIT on Thursday at the Merrill Indoor Gymnasium. The Bobcats raised their record to 4-2 while snapping the Engineers’ win streak at five matches and dropping their record to 6-2.
Bates junior Ben Stein (Pelham, N.Y.) and sophomore Amrit Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka) won at No. 1 and No. 2 singles, respectively, and teamed up to win at No. 1 singles. Sophomore Zach Fenno (Armonk, N.Y.) and senior Danilo Acosta (Quito, Ecuador) teamed up to win at No. 2 doubles and were singles winners as well.
Bates will play host to Brandeis on Saturday at 4 p.m.; MIT plays at Tufts Saturday at 11 a.m.
Men’s Tennis Result
Feb. 13, 2008 at Lewiston, Maine
Bates 8, MIT 1
1. Ben Stein/Amrit Rupasinghe (B) def. Eric Beren/Ken Van Tilburg (M), 8-2
2. Danilo Acosta/Zach Fenno (B) def. Peden Nichols/Kevin Pang (M), 8-4
3. Michael Reiss/Brett Hine (B) def. David Iba/Brendan McCord (M), 8-5
1. Stein (B) def. Beren (M), 6-4, 6-0
2. Rupasinghe (B) def. Van Tilburg (M), 6-4, 6-4
3. Pang (M) def. Reiss (B), 7-6 (4), 6-1
4. Max Berger (B) def. Nichols (M), 6-2, 6-3
5. Fenno (B) def. Ryan Castonia (M), 6-3, 6-3
6. Acosta (B) def. Michael Price (M), 6-1, 6-2