Men’s track and field takes place in 18-team meet
FITCHBURG, Mass. — The Bates College men’s track and field team swept the throwing events en route to first place out of 18 teams at the Jim Sheehan Memorial Track and Field Meet Saturday at Fitchburg State College.
The Bobcats scored 124.50 points, easily outpacing Colby (97.50), Southern Maine (93), Keene State (81) and Amherst (76).
Sophomore Rich McNeil (Lawrence, Mass.) took first place in the shot put (47-11.25), hammer throw (180-0) and discus throw (146-10), and first-year Christopher Murtagh (Rowley, Mass.) won the javelin throw (167-5) to complete the throwing sweep.
Other highlights for Bates included:
- Senior Noah Gauthier (Amherst, N.H.) took second place in the shot put (47-1.75), second in the hammer throw (179-7) and fifth in the discus throw (122-10);
- Senior Matthew Lopez (Lexington, Mass.) took fifth place in the shot put (41-3.25) and the hammer throw (147-08);
- First-year Brett Epler (Wellesley, Mass.) finished fourth in the 400 hurdles at 58.24 seconds;
- Sophomore Conor Welch (Newburyport, Mass.) took third place in the 3,000-meter steeplechase (10:06.64);
- Sophomore Nicolas DeFrancis (Norwich, Vt.) was fourth in the pole vault (12-3.5) while first-year Wesley Farnsworth (South Royalton, Vt.) was fifth (10-10.0).
Bates will next compete at the Colby Invitational next Saturday, April 12 at 1 p.m.