Men’s tennis scores upset at The College of New Jersey
EWING, N.J. — A thriller at No. 6 singles decided the match for the No. 27 Bates College men’s tennis team, which defeated No. 20 The College of New Jersey at TCNJ’s Tennis Complex on Wednesday.
Bates senior co-captain Danilo Acosta (Quito, Ecuador) battled back from being down 5-3 in the third set, fending off multiple match points to clinch the match in a 7-5, 5-7, 7-6 (4) thriller over the Lions’ Jonathan Yu at No. 6 singles.
The Bobcats finished their three-match southern swing a perfect 3-0 with wins over TCNJ, Swarthmore and Division I Lehigh, raising their overall record to 11-3. TCNJ dropped to 9-4 and saw their five-match win streak come to an end.
Bates’ top doubles pair, junior Ben Stein (Pelham, N.Y.) and sophomore Amrit Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka), extended their record to 10-2 this spring with an 8-4 victory over Lions seniors Mike Klimchak and Roger Mosteller. Stein and Rupasinghe are the top-ranked doubles team in the Northeast, while the TCNJ pair is ranked third.
Sophomores Max Berger (Concord, N.H.) and Ryan Mannelly (New Canaan, Conn.) won an 8-5 decision at No. 3 doubles to give Bates a 2-1 edge heading into singles.
Stein, the No. 7 ranked singles player in the Northeast, dropped a 6-4, 6-3 decision to Klimchak at No. 1 singles, but Rupasinghe, currently unranked regionally, recorded a 6-3, 6-3 victory over No. 19-ranked Eric Ferriere at No. 2 singles. Berger defeated Mosteller at No. 4 singles in straight sets and Acosta won at No. 6.
Bates will host NESCAC rivals Connecticut College and Williams College this weekend. The Camels visit Saturday at 2 p.m., followed by the Ephs Sunday at 2 p.m.
Acosta has recently been awarded the Lindholm Scholar-Athlete Award, which goes to the male and female Bates varsity athletes who graduate with the highest respective grade point averages in their class.
Tennis Match Results: # 27 Bates College vs #20 The College of New Jersey
4/16/08 at TCNJ’s Tennis Complex (Ewing, NJ)
#27 Bates College 5, #20 The College of New Jersey 4
1. Benjamin Stein/Amrit Rupasinghe (BATESM) def. Michael Klimchak/Roger Mosteller (TCNJ-MEN) 8-4
2. Jeremy Eckardt/Eric Ferriere (TCNJ-MEN) def. Zach Fenno/Danilo Acosta (BATESM) 8-3
3. Maxwell Berger/Ryan Mannelly (BATESM) def. James Vance/Jonathan Yu (TCNJ-MEN) 8-5
1. Michael Klimchak (TCNJ-MEN) def. Benjamin Stein (BATESM) 6-4, 6-3
2. Amrit Rupasinghe (BATESM) def. Eric Ferriere (TCNJ-MEN) 6-3, 6-3
3. Jeremy Eckardt (TCNJ-MEN) def. Michael Reiss (BATESM) 6-1, 7-6 (6)
4. Maxwell Berger (BATESM) def. Roger Mosteller (TCNJ-MEN) 7-5, 6-1
5. Matt Pierson (TCNJ-MEN) def. Zach Fenno (BATESM) 6-7 (4), 6-3, 6-3
6. Danilo Acosta (BATESM) def. Jonathan Yu (TCNJ-MEN) 7-5, 5-7, 7-6 (4)