Women’s tennis pair scores upset at No. 1 doubles vs. Ephs
|Cecilia Grissa ’08 (left) and Alexandra Piacquad ’10 are 8-2 this spring at No. 1 doubles.|
LEWISTON, Maine — The No. 2 nationally ranked Williams College Ephs defeated the Bates College Bobcats 8-1 in a NESCAC women’s tennis match Sunday at the Wallach Tennis Center.
Williams raised its overall record this year to 15-2 and finishes the regular season on top of the NESCAC standings at 6-0. Bates fell to 4-11 overall and 1-5 in conference play.
The Bobcats’ top doubles pair, senior Cecilia Grissa (Doylestown, Pa.) and sophomore Alexandra Piacquad (Yardley, Pa.), scored a significant upset, and Bates’ lone point, with an 8-6 defeat of Williams sophomore Cary Gibson (Augusta, Ga.) and senior Annie Schneidman (Sherborn, Mass.) at No. 1 doubles. Grissa and Piacquad are currently the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s 17th-ranked doubles pair in the Northeast, while Gibson and Schneidman are rated No. 2. Williams dominated each of the other matches on the day and will play in next weekend’s NESCAC Championships at Middlebury as the likely top seed.
Bates plays its final match of the season tomorrow at Wesleyan University (3:30 p.m.).
Williams College 8, Bates College 1
1. Grissa/Piacquad def. Cary Gibson/Annie Schneidman (W) 8-6
2. Allie Rottkamp/Grace Baljon (W) def. Benisch/Raghavan 8-0
3. Nikki Reich/Annie Hancock (W) def. Fleming/Gulliver 8-1
1. Gibson def. Cecilia Grissa 6-0, 6-0
2. Baljon def. Alex Piacquad 6-0, 6-0
3. Ashley Parsons def. Caryn Benisch 6-2, 6-0
4. Reich def. Mallika Raghavan 6-0, 6-1
5. Rottkamp def. Liz Fleming 6-0, 6-0
6. Hancock def. Jean Gulliver 6-1, 6-0