Women’s squash cruises past Colby, 8-1
WATERVILLE, Maine — Junior Hannah Laverty (Brooklyn, N.Y.) won at the second position and senior captain Margot Webel (Locust Valley, N.Y.) took the third match as the Bates College women’s squash team earned an 8-1 victory over Colby College on Tuesday night at the Dunaway Courts.
The win brings the Bobcats to 4-5 this season and 2-2 against NESCAC opponents.
First-year Mimi Neal (Danvers, Mass.) won her seventh straight match at the No. 6 position, blanking her opponent 9-0, 9-0, 9-0. Sophomore Stephanie Cabot (Dover, Mass.), meanwhile, brought her record to 6-3 on the season at the No. 8 spot.
Bates travels to Yale University to play the host No. 4 Bulldogs on Saturday, followed by a match against Connecticut College at Yale on Sunday.
Bates 8, Colby 1
1. Samantha Smith, C, beat Whitney Roller 4,3,(2),(1),3
2. Hannah Laverty, B, beat Catherine Monrad 5,1,5
3. Margot Webel, B, beat Maddie Dufour 2,0,2
4. Sarah Blomstedt, B, beat Jess Vogel 6,5,(5), 1
5. Sophie Runquist, B, beat Caroline Reaves 5,2,0
6. Mimi Neal, B, beat Jae Paik 0,0,0
7. Anna Hogeland, B, beat Kaeley Shepard 1,2,0
8. Stephanie Cabot, B, beat Alison Crevi 0,1,1
9. Emily Russell, B, beat Jessica Kravetz (10-8),4,4,2