Women’s squash nipped by Bowdoin, 5-4
LEWISTON, Maine — The Bates College women’s squash team lost a 5-4 heartbreaker Tuesday night to rival Bowdoin in front of a packed crowd at the Bates Squash Center.
Bates jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, when senior Sophie Runquist (Kent, Conn.) and sophomore Stephanie Cabot (Dover, Mass.) both blanked their opponents 3-0 in the first round of matches. Bowdoin followed with a 3-0 victory at the No. 4 spot and a 3-1 win at No. 2 to bring the match score even.
Bates quickly countered when sophomore Emily Russell (Queensbury, N.Y.) and sophomore Anna Hogeland (Williamstown, Mass.) both shut out their opponents 27-0 in points at Nos. 9 and 7, respectively, bringing the match score to 4-2 in favor of the Bobcats, with three matches remaining.
The Polar Bears fired back by winning handily at the Nos. 1 and 3 positions, and the match was all even at 4-4. After going down 2-0 at No. 6, Bates first-year Mimi Neal (Danvers, Mass.) fought back to win the 3rd game 10-9, but lost a closely contested 4th game 10-8, giving the victory to the visiting Polar Bears.
The Women travel to Trinity to take part in the NESCAC tournament, where they are the No. 5 seed. They will face rival Middlebury in the quarterfinal round, by whom they were narrowly defeated 5-4 on January 11 at Williams.
Bowdoin 5, Bates 4
1. Laverty, Hannah def. by Laird, Elena 9-5,9-1,9-4
2. Roller, Whitney def. by Gesswein, Lauren 7-9,9-7,9-1,9-7
3. Webel, Margot def. by Gormley, Kate 9-2,9-3,9-3
4. Blomstedt, Sarah def. by Franceschi, Alexandra 10-8,9-3,9-2
5. Neal, Maura def. by Gillespie, Elizabeth 9-6,10-8,9-10,10-8
6. Runquist, Sophie def. Warner, Elizabeth 9-6,9-6,9-5
7. Hogeland, Anna def. McFarland, Megan 9-0,9-0,9-0
8. Cabot, Stephanie def. Kim, Emily 9-0,9-1,9-0
9. Russell, Emily def. Tschiderer, Aileen 9-0,9-0,9-0
10. Schippers, Virginia def. Nassief, Isabel 9-7,9-2,9-4