Benisch, Piacquad both go 2-0 against Colby
LEWISTON, Maine — Colby College came back from a 2-1 deficit after doubles play to edge Bates College 5-4 in a NESCAC women’s tennis match on Friday at Wallach Tennis Center.
The Mules raised their record to 5-9 overall and 3-5 in the conference, while Bates dropped to 4-10 overall and 2-6 in conference play.
Bates wraps up the regular season with a home match against Wesleyan on Sunday at 10 a.m.
Bates senior Caryn Benisch (Huntington, N.Y.) and junior Alex Piacquad (Yardley, Pa.) teamed up to win 8-4 at No. 1 doubles, and both players won decisively at the top two singles positions. First-years Brooke Morse-Karzen (Wilmette, Ill.) and Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) notched an 8-4 win at No. 2 doubles.
For more on this story and what’s going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Colby 5, Bates 4
1. Caryn Benisch/Alex Piacquad (B) def Katie Muto/Caroline Reaves (C) 8-4
2. Brooke Morse-Karzen/Erika Blauth (B) def Tara Davidson/Katie Brezinski (C) 8-4
3. Sally Meehan/Kathryn Vergeyle (C) def Meg Anderson/Jean Gulliver (B) 8-5
1. Benisch (B) def Muto (C) 6-3,6-2
2. Piacquad (B) def Reaves (C) 6-1,6-2
3. Brezinski (C) def Anderson (B) 6-2,6-3
4. Davidson (C) def Blauth (B) 6-0,6-1
5. Vergeyl (C) def Gulliver (B) 6-0,6-1
6. Meehan (C) def Liz Stege (B) 6-2,6-2