Benisch wins at No. 1 singles on Senior Day vs. Wesleyan
|Senior captain Caryn Benisch went out in style on Senior Day, winning at No. 1 singles.|
LEWISTON, Maine — The Bates College women’s tennis team faced Wesleyan University Sunday on Senior Day for the team’s lone senior and captain, Caryn Benisch (Huntington, N.Y.). The Bobcats fell 7-2 in the NESCAC matchup, with Benisch acquitting herself well with a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 1 singles over Wesleyan’s Anika Fischer.
The Cardinals (11-6, 4-3 NESCAC) entered singles play with a 2-1 lead, as Fischer and Sarah Miller edged Benisch and junior Alex Piacquad (Yardley, Pa.) at No. 1 doubles, and Ania Preneta and Linda McDougal defeated junior Jean Gulliver (Falmouth, Maine) and first-year Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.) at No. 3. Bates earned its doubles point at No. 2, with first-years Brooke Morse-Karzen (Wilmette, Ill.) and Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) dispatching Meredith Holmes and Casey Simchik by an 8-4 score.
Anderson, Gulliver and first-year Maria Rouvalis (Concord, N.H.) all forced tiebreakers in their singles matches before losing for Bates, which finishes the season 4-11 overall, 2-7 in the NESCAC.
For more on this story and what’s going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Wesleyan 7, Bates 2
1. Anika Fischer/Sarah Miller (W) def Caryn Benisch/Alex Piacquad (B) 8-6
2. Brooke Morse-Karzen/Erika Blauth (B) def Meredith Holmes/Casey Simchik (W) 8-4
3. Ania Preneta/Linda McDougal (W) def Jean Gulliver/Meg Anderson (B) 8-3
1. Benisch (B) def Fischer (W) 6-4, 6-4
2. Preneta (W) def Piacquad (B) 6-3, 6-4
3. Miller (W) def Anderson (B) 7-6(4), 6-1
4. McDougal (W) def Blauth (B) 6-4, 6-1
5. Holmes (W) def Gulliver (B) 6-3, 7-6(6)
6. Simchik (W) def Maria Rouvalis (B) 7-6(3), 6-1