Stein, Sherman go undefeated on Senior Day win over Wesleyan
LEWISTON, Maine — The two seniors on the No. 24 nationally ranked Bates men’s tennis team both went undefeated on Senior Day as the Bobcats defeated Wesleyan 8-1 Sunday in their regular-season finale.
Bates evened its NESCAC record at 5-5 and raised its overall record to 10-5, and will play this weekend at the NESCAC Men’s Tennis Championship at Williams College. Wesleyan dropped to 12-8 overall and 3-4 in conference play.
The Bobcats earned the No. 6 seed at NESCACs and will play No. 3 seed Williams in the first round on Friday at 9 a.m. The winner will play No. 2 seed Amherst on Saturday at 9 a.m. Read the NESCAC Men’s Tennis Championship preview release here.
The All-American doubles team of senior Ben Stein (Pelham, N.Y.) and junior Amrit Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka) coasted past Wesleyan’s Matthew O’Connell and Jaafar Rizvi 8-1 at No. 1 doubles, and Stein went on defeat O’Connell at No. 1 singles by a 6-1, 6-3 score. Fellow senior Mike Sherman (Huntington, N.Y.) also posted a convincing 6-3, 6-0 win at No. 6 singles over Alejandro Alvarado.
The Cardinals got their lone point at No. 5 singles, where Michael Piderit outlasted Bates junior Ryan Mannelly (New Canaan, Conn.) in a marathon, 6-4, 5-7, 10-8.
For more on this story and what’s going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Bates 8, Wesleyan 1
1. Ben Stein/Amrit Rupasinghe (B) def Matthew O’Connell/Jaafar Rizvi (W) 8-1
2. Max Berger/Ryan Mannelly (B) def Graham Immerman/Michael Piderit (W) 8-3
3. Zach Fenno/Mike Reiss (B) def Paul Gerdes/Alejandro Alvarado (W) 8-6
1. Stein (B) def O’Connell (W) 6-1, 6-3
2. Rupasinghe (B) def Immerman (W) 6-1, 6-0
3. Berger (B) def Gerdes (W) 6-2, 6-4
4. Reiss (B) def Rizvi (W) 6-1, 6-1
5. Piderit (W) def Mannelly (B) 6-4, 5-7, 10-8
6. Mike Sherman (B) def Alvarado (W) 6-3, 6-0