Rookies shine in men’s squash win over Tufts
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — The Bates College men’s squash team opened the 2009-10 season Friday night by overpowering NESCAC rival Tufts University 9-0 at Harvard.
The No. 12-ranked Bobcats were short three top-10 players, but first-years picked up the slack for their teammates who are currently abroad, winning in dominating fashion. First-years Eric Bedell (Brooklyn, N.Y.), R.J. Keating (Short Hills, N.J.), Matt Baker-White (Williamstown, Mass.), Nick Kourides (Rye, N.Y.) and Walter Cabot (Dover, Mass.) were victorious for the men in their first college matches.
The Bobcats face two more NESCAC opponents in Wesleyan Saturday morning at 11:30 a.m. and Connecticut College at 7 p.m., both at Harvard. They’ll return to Bates Sunday for an 11 a.m. match against No. 1 Trinity, making its first visit to Lewiston.
Trinity has won 11 consecutive College Squash Association Team National titles, and has an all-time collegiate sports record winning streak of 202 matches going. The Bantams are the preseason No. 1 team in the CSA rankings.
The host Bobcats are ranked No. 12 by the CSA, after finishing in 11th place at the 2009 CSA Team Nationals. Bates hasn’t lost at home since Jan. 12, 2008, a streak of eight straight wins. Senior captain Kush Mahan (Kalamazoo, Mich.) is the Bobcats’ No. 1 player for the second straight year, owning an individual career record of 48-19. Senior captain Jordan Greenberg (Malvern, Pa.), who sports a 48-21 career mark.
Trinity boasts eight of the top 25 players in the country, according to CSA rankings, including the top-ranked player, Baset Chaudhry.
Bates 9, Tufts 0
1. Subranni,John (T) lost to Mahan,Kush (B) 11-5,6-11,11-3,11-8 Bates
2. Bradley,J. Zachary (T) lost to Greenberg,Jordan (B) 10-12,11-5,11-9,9-11,11-5
3. Taylor,Sheldon (T) lost to Burns,Robert (B) 11-9,11-9,11-9
4. Dalury,Max (T) lost to Williams,Patrick (B) 11-3,11-7,10-12,11-8
5. Miller,Henry (T) lost to Lee,Dae Ro (B) 11-3,12-10,11-9
6. Leighton,Scott (T) lost to Bedell,Eric (B) 11-7,11-6,9-11,11-7
7. Kim,Andrew (T) lost to Keating,R. J. (B) 11-8,11-7,11-6
8. Salisbury,Will (T) lost to Baker-White,Matthew (B) 11-1,11-5,11-3
9. Stoj,Christopher (T) lost to Kourides,Nicholas (B) 11-4,11-2,11-6
(10.) Krizan,Tyler (T) lost to Cabot III,Walter (B) 11-3,11-1,11-1