Mahan’s win at No. 1 highlights visit by national champion Bantams
|Teammates converge on Kush Mahan ’10 after he defeated his Trinity opponent at the No. 1 position.|
LEWISTON, Maine — On Sunday at the Bates Squash Center, the 12th-ranked Bates College men’s squash team suffered its first defeat of the season at the hands of 11-time defending national champion and top-ranked Trinity College by the score of 8-1.
|Mahan in action against Trinity’s Supreet Singh.|
Trinity wins its 203rd consecutive match, extending the all-time longest win streak in college sports. Bates drops its first match at home since Jan. 12, 2008, a streak of eight wins in a row.
For the second consecutive year, the Bobcats (3-1) took a match from their NESCAC rivals, as senior Kush Mahan (Kalamazoo, Mich.) outlasted Trinity’s Supreet Singh in five games (2-11, 11-8, 17-19, 12-10, 11-7) at the No. 1 spot on the ladder.
Mahan, a team tri-captain and a 2009 First Team All-NESCAC selection, finished last season ranked 50th in the College Squash Association, while Singh finished with a ranking of 22.
The Bobcats face the national runner-up, Princeton University, in New Jersey on Saturday, December 5th at 1 p.m. in their next match.
Trinity 8, Bates 1
1. Mahan,Kush (B) def. Singh,Supreet (T) 2-11,11-8,17-19,12-10,11-9
2. Greenberg,Jordan (B) def. by Chaudhry,Baset (T) 11-9,11-3,11-4
3. Burns,Robert (B) def. by Sharma,Parth (T) 11-7,11-7,11-2
4. Williams,Patrick (B) def. by Malhotra,Vikram (T) 11-2,11-4,11-3
5. Lee,Dae Ro (B) def. by Binnie,Christopher (T) 11-9,11-6,11-6
6. Bedell,Eric (B) def. by Flores,Juan (T) 12-10,11-5,11-7
7. Keating,R. J. (B) def. by Hergeth,Reinhold (T) 11-0,11-2,11-2
8. Baker-White,Matthew (B) def. by Johan Detter (T) 11-4,11-1,11-7
9. Kourides,Nicholas (B) def. by Echavarria,Daniel (T) 11-9,8-11,11-8,11-5
(10.) Cabot III,Walter (B) def. by Crane,Greg (T) 11-8,11-8,11-8