No. 11 women’s squash falls to No. 10 Brown at home
|Hannah Laverty ’10 won her final home match to gain one of Bates’ two points against Brown.|
LEWISTON, Maine — The Bates College women’s squash team wrapped up the regular season with a 7-2 loss to No. 10-ranked Brown University on Sunday at the Bates Squash Center.
Bates (15-6) will head into the NESCAC Women’s Squash Championships as the No. 3 seed and the No. 11-ranked team in the country. The tournament takes place next weekend at Trinity College.
UPDATE: Bates will play the winner between 11th seed Connecticut College and sixth seed Hamilton on Saturday at 1:30 p.m. at Trinity in the conference quarterfinals. The winner of that match will go on to the semifinal round, likely against No. 2 seed Williams, on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. The loser of Bates’ first match will play at that same time.
The Bobcats, who moved up a spot in the national rankings with Saturday’s 6-3 win over former No. 11 Mount Holyoke, won their points at the top two spots in the lineup — first-year Cheri-Ann Parris (St. Philip, Barbados) at No. 1 and senior Hannah Laverty (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) at No. 2.
Brown 7, Bates 2
1. Parris,Cheri-Ann (Bates) def. Pyne,Laura (Brown) 11-2,11-4,11-9
2. Laverty,Hannah (Bates) def. Crosky,Sarah (Brown) 11-8,11-6,7-11,11-13,12-10
3. Roller,Whitney (Bates) def. by Fadaifard,Nikoo (Brown) 11-3,11-6,11-8
4. Neal,Maura (Bates) def. by Schellenberg,Kali (Brown) 8-11,14-12,8-11,11-6,11-3
5. Bragg,Alison (Bates) def. by Scherl,Sophie (Brown) 11-7,11-7,11-7
6. Cabot,Stephanie (Bates) def. by Kohnen,Erika (Brown) 11-3,11-9,11-9
7. Hogeland,Anna (Bates) def. by Tilney,Carolyn (Brown) 11-2,12-10,12-10
8. Dorison,Liza (Bates) def. by Smith,Lydia (Brown) 11-8,11-3,11-9
9. Maciewicz,Morgan (Bates) def. by Beresford,Sarah (Brown) 11-7,11-4,11-0
(10.) Russell,Emily (Bates) def. by Roberts,Sarah (Brown) 11-2,11-4,11-4