Men’s squash beats Brown 7-2 at CSA Team Nationals
|Nick Echeverria outlasted Brown’s Adam Greenberg 10-12, 3-11, 11-9, 12-10, 11-6.|
NEW HAVEN, Conn. — The Bates College men’s squash team opened play at the College Squash Association Team Nationals Friday with a 7-2 win over Brown University, assuring themselves of at least 12th place in the final CSA rankings.
The Bobcats (19-7), seeded No. 11, will face No. 10 seed Williams on Saturday at 12 noon in the semifinals of Hoehn (B Division) Cup play. The Bobcats are 0-2 against the Ephs this season in a pair of close matches, 5-4 on Jan. 9 and 6-3 on Feb. 6 in the semifinals of the NESCAC Championship.
Bates received wins from senior Kush Mahan (Kalamazoo, Mich.) at the No. 1 position in the lineup, junior Will Katz (Bronxville, N.Y.) in the No. 3 spot, sophomore Bobby Burns (Greenwich, Conn.) at No. 4, junior Nick Echeverria (Washington, D.C.) at No. 5, junior Dae Ro Lee (Yongin, South Korea) at No. 6, first-year R.J. Keating (Short Hills, N.J.) at No. 8 and first-year Eric Bedell (Brooklyn, N.Y.) at No. 9.
Bates 7, Brown 2
1. Mahan, Kush (Bates) def. Thompson, Brad (Brown) 6-11,11-5,11-9,11-7
2. Greenberg, Jordan (Bates) def. by Leanza, Adrian (Brown) 6-11,11-8,11-8,11-5
3. Katz, William (Bates) def. Clayman, Benjamin (Brown) 11-4,11-9,11-7
4. Burns, Robert (Bates) def. Davis, Patrick (Brown) 11-8,11-5,11-8
5. Echeverria, Nicholas (Bates) def. Greenberg, Adam (Brown) 10-12,3-11,11-9,12-10,11-6
6. Lee, Dae Ro (Bates) def. O Connor, Eamon (Brown) 11-7,8-11,11-6,10-12,11-7
7. Williams, Patrick (Bates) def. by Holter, Christopher (Brown) 11-5,11-4,11-5
8. Keating, R.J. (Bates) def. Bryan, William (Brown) 4-11,11-4,17-15,11-8
9. Bedell, Eric (Bates) def. Heitzmann, Alex (Brown) 11-9,15-13,6-11,11-8