Men’s squash finishes 12th at CSA Team Nationals
|Kush Mahan ’10 went 3-0 at CSA Team Nationals, with a trio of 3-1 wins over the top players from Brown, Williams and F&M.|
NEW HAVEN, Conn. — The Bates College men’s squash team claimed 12th place overall and fourth place in the Hoehn (B Division) Cup bracket on Sunday at the College Squash Association Team Nationals, after suffering a tough 5-4 loss to Franklin & Marshall in the bracket’s consolation final. The Diplomats (13-10) were able to avenge their 6-3 defeat to the Bobcats in Lewiston on Jan. 17, which at the time flip-flopped the teams in the CSA rankings, with Bates rising from No. 12 to No. 11 and F&M doing the opposite.
F&M’s win also avenges last year’s match for third place in the Hoehn Cup, which Bates won 6-3 to claim 11th place.
As expected, the match could not have been much closer, particularly at the top of the order. Bates senior Kush Mahan (Kalamazoo, Mich.) won 3-1 at the No. 1 position, and junior Will Katz (Bronxville, N.Y.) outlasted the Diplomats’ Sadiq Madraswala in a 3-2 decision. F&M prevailed at the second, fourth and fifth spots in the order, all by 3-2 scores.
Bates (19-9) picked up two of its points at Nos. 8 and 9, where first-years R.J. Keating (Short Hills, N.J.) and Eric Bedell (Brooklyn, N.Y.), respectively, wrapped up strong rookie seasons with 3-0 wins.
Franklin & Marshall 5, Bates 4
1. De Melo,Gabriel (F&M) def. by Mahan,Kush (B) 11-5,7-11,11-7,11-8
2. De Melo,Guilherme (F&M) def. Greenberg,Jordan (B) 11-9,4-11,11-9,11-8
3. Madraswala,Sadiq (F&M) def. by Katz,William (B) 14-12,11-6,1-11,10-12,11-7
4. Lopez,Juan (F&M) def. Burns,Robert (B) 11-6,5-11,11-4,7-11,11-6
5. Aibara,Zarir (F&M) def. Echeverria,Nicholas (B) 11-4,11-9,6-11,4-11,11-6
6. Cunningham,Patrick (F&M) def. Lee,Dae Ro (B) 11-4,11-6,12-10
7. Gagnier,Christophe (F&M) def. Williams,Patrick (B) 16-14,11-3,11-8
8. Lurio,Benjamin (F&M) def. by Keating,R.J. (B) 11-7,11-8,11-9
9. Struse,Frederick (F&M) def. by Bedell,Eric (B) 11-7,11-4,11-5