Women’s squash tops Amherst, moves to Kurtz Cup semifinal
NEW HAVEN, Conn. — The Bates College women’s squash team edged NESCAC rival Amherst College 5-4 in the opening round of Kurtz (B Division) Cup play Friday in the College Squash Association Team Nationals, held at Yale University.
No. 11-ranked Bates (18-7) advances to the semifinals in the Kurtz Cup bracket, which includes teams ranked No. 9 through 16 in the country, where the Bobcats will face No. 10 Brown, which defeated No. 15 Hamilton by an 8-1 score. No. 14 Amherst will play Hamilton in a consolation match. Bates and Brown square off at 9 a.m. on Saturday for the right to play in the Kurtz Cup final.
Bates swept the top three spots in the lineup; first-year Cheri-Ann Parris (St. Philip, Barbados) won 3-0 at the No. 1 position, senior Hannah Laverty (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) won 3-0 at No. 2 and senior Whitney Roller (Haverford, Pa.) won 3-1 at No. 3. Sophomore Anna Hogeland (Williamstown, Mass.) won 3-1 at No. 7 and first-year Liza Dorison (Longmeadow, Mass.) won 3-0 at No. 8 to clinch the win. Sophomore Mimi Neal (Danvers, Mass.) and first-year Alison Bragg (Darien, Conn.) were both outlasted by 3-2 scores at spots 4 and 5, respectively.
Bates 5, Amherst 4
1. Parris,Cheri-Ann (B) def. Milbourn,Hayley (A) 12-10,11-8,11-6
2. Laverty,Hannah (B) def. Lusardi,Chandler (A) 11-5,11-8,11-7
3. Roller,Whitney (B) def. Dalglish,Allie (A) 8-11,14-12,11-9,11-9
4. Neal,Maura (B) def. by Savage,Katherine (A) 11-9,11-8,8-11,10-12,11-9
5. Bragg,Alison (B) def. by Scheidt,Anna (A) 5-11,11-6,10-12,11-3,11-7
6. Cabot,Stephanie (B) def. by Piper,Anne (A) 11-9,12-10,12-10
7. Hogeland,Anna (B) def. Demkin,Caitlin (A) 11-8,11-8,10-12,11-2
8. Dorison,Liza (B) def. Bell,Amelia (A) 11-4,11-4,11-4
9. Maciewicz,Morgan (B) def. by McNeill,Mary Katherine (A) 11-6,11-7,11-8
(10.) Russell,Emily (B) def. Nyirjesy,Sarah (A) 0-11,11-0,11-0,11-0