Men’s tennis splits spring opener with USM, MIT
LEWISTON, Maine — The Bates College men’s tennis team opened the spring season on Saturday by splitting a pair of non-conference matches against the University of Southern Maine and MIT. The Bobcats defeated USM 9-0 in the morning before MIT came away with a 6-3 win in the afternoon in Merrill Indoor Gymnasium.
After sweeping the visiting Huskies without losing a set, the Bobcats started out with a 2-1 lead over the Engineers after doubles play, with senior Max Berger (Concord, N.H.) and first-year Robert Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) winning in a tiebreaker at No. 2 doubles and first-year Matthew Bettles (Taunton, England) and sophomore Jeffrey Beaton (Haverhill, Mass.) prevailing 9-7 at No. 3 doubles. MIT surged back in singles play, winning in five of six matches, all but senior Amrit Rupasinghe’s (Colombo, Sri Lanka) victory over Kevin Pang at No. 2 singles.
Bates (1-1) next plays at Babson on March 5 at 5 p.m.
Bates 9, Southern Maine 0
1. Mike Reiss/Amrit Rupasinghe (B) def Joshua Warren/Michael Sarrazin 8-0
2. Max Berger/Robert Crampton (B) def Zach Caron/Tyler Columbo 8-0
3. Matthew Bettles/Jeffrey Beaton (B) def Matt MacGowan/Jonathan Sproul 8-1
1. Zach Fenno (B) def Josh Warren (USM) 6-2,6-1
2. Jeff Beaton (B) def Mike Sarrazin (USM) 6-0,6-0
3. Ryan Mannelly (B) def Zach Caron (USM) 6-0,6-4
4. Kyle DeSisto (B) def Shane Belanger (USM) 6-1,6-1
5. Dylan Reffe (B) def Matt MacGowan (USM) 6-3,6-1
6. Sam Woods (B) def Tyler Columbo (USM) 6-1,6-1
MIT 6, Bates 3
1. Kevin Pang/Larry Pang (MIT) def Amrit Rupasinghe/Mike Reiss (B) 9-7
2. Max Berger/Robert Crampton (B) def Ken Van Tilburg/Matthew Skalak (MIT) 9-8(7)
3. Matthew Bettles/Jeff Beaton (B) def Andrew Cooper/Tymor Hamamsy (MIT) 9-7
1. Van Tilburg (MIT) def Reiss (B) 6-0,7-6(5)
2. Rupasinghe (B) def Kevin Pang (MIT) 4-6,6-2,7-5
3. Larry Pang (MIT) def Berger (B) 2-6,6-3,6-0
4. Samuel Harmatz (MIT) def Bettles (B) 7-5, 6-3
5. Skalak (MIT) def Crampton (B) 6-7(4), 6-4,6-3
6. Brian Oldfield (MIT) def Zach Fenno (B) 6-0,6-4