Men’s tennis serves up a win against Babson
WALTHAM, Mass. – The Bates College men’s tennis team defeated the Babson College Beavers today to improve their record to 2-1 on the year.
The Bobcats won two out of three doubles matches against the Beavers. At first doubles, Babson’s Alex Kamergorodsky and Brian Lafayette defeated the Bates pair of seniors Amrit Rupasinghe and Mike Reiss (8-6). The second Bates doubles team of senior Max Berger and sophomore Jeff Beaton downed Babson’s duo of Justin Albert and Moises Numb (8-4), and in the final doubles match, Bates seniors Zach Fenno and Ryan Mannelly were victorious over Ken Lin and Simeon Human of the Beavers (8-6).
In singles action, the Bobcats won five out of six matches. Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka), playing at the No. 1 spot, avenged his doubles loss, defeating Kamergorodsky 6-3, 6-3. At number two for Bates, Reiss (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) defeated the Beaver’s Albert 6-2, 6-2. Berger (Concord, N.H.) got a victory for the Bobcats at the third spot with a win against Austin Conti 6-3, 6-1. Also, Fenno (Armonk, N.Y.) and Beaton (Haverhill, Mass.) got involved in the winning ways with victories at the fourth and fifth spot against Babson players Lin (6-2, 6-1) and Lafayette (6-3, 7-6) respectively.
Mannelly (New Canaan, Conn.) suffered a tough loss against Babson’s Moises Numb in the sixth spot 6-2, 6-2.
Bates (2-1) next plays at Colby on March 15 at 4 p.m. in the team’s first NESCAC contest of the spring season.
For more on this story and what’s going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Bates 7, Babson 2
1. Alex Kamergorodsky/Brian Lafayette (BAB) def Mike Reiss/Amrit Rupasinghe (B) 8-6
2. Max Berger/Jeff Beaton (B) def Justin Albert/Moses Numb 8-4
3. Zach Fenno/Ryan Manelly (B) def Ken Lin/Simeon Human 8-6
1. Amrit Rupasinghe (B) def Alex Kamergorodsky (BAB) 6-3,6-3
2. Michael Reiss (B) def Justin Albert (BAB) 6-2,6-2
3. Max Berger (B) def Austin Conti (BAB) 6-3,6-1
4. Zach Fenno (B) def Ken Lin (BAB) 6-2,6-1
5. Jeff Beaton (B) def Brian Lafayette (BAB) 6-3,7-6
6. Moises Numb (BAB) def Ryan Manelly (B) 6-2,6-2