Women’s tennis sweeps Mt. Holyoke, Smith
SOUTH HADLEY, Mass. — The Bates College women’s tennis team opened the spring season in grand style, traveling to Mount Holyoke College and returning home with 9-0 defeats over the host Lyons as well as the Smith College Pioneers.
The Bobcats started by picking up their sixth straight win over the Lyons (4-8). Bates was paced by senior Alexandra Piacquad (Yardley, Pa.), sophomore Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.), first-year Katie Helfgott (Newton, Mass.), first-year Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) and sophomore Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine), who each came out on top in both singles and doubles.
Bates swept the doubles matches to gain control of things. Piacquad and Anderson picked up an 8-3 win at the number one slot, while Blauth and Brunk prevailed 8-4 at the number two position. The Bobcats No. 3 tandem of Helfgott and first-year Jacquelyn Holmes (Harvard, Mass.) added an 8-2 victory.
The guests then took all six singles points to seal things. Piacquad, Anderson, Helfgott, Brunk, Blauth and senior Jean Gulliver (Falmouth, Maine) earned victories at the Nos. 1 through 6 positions, respectively.
Bates took care of Smith in much the same way, dropping only a single set in the match to cruise to a 2-0 start to the season.
The Bobcats will visit the University of Southern Maine on Friday at 4:00 p.m.
For more on this story and what’s going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Bates 9, Mount Holyoke 0
1. Alexandra Piacquad/Meg Anderson (BAT) def. Sarah Moore/Natalie Hsiang (MHC) 8-3
2. Ashley Brunk/Erika Blauth (BAT) def. Sarah London/My-Linh Nguyen (MHC) 8-4
3. Katie Helfgott/Jacquelyn Holmes (BAT) def. Carly Peltier/Rose Cantlin (MHC) 8-2
1. Alexandra Piacquad (BAT) def. Natalie Hsiang (MHC) 6-0, 6-2
2. Meg Anderson (BAT) def. Sarah Moore (MHC) 6-3, 6-3
3. Katie Helfgott (BAT) def. Sarah London (MHC) 6-1, 6-7 (3-7), 10-5
4. Ashley Brunk (BAT) def. My-Linh Nguyen (MHC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Erika Blauth (BAT) def. Carly Peltier (MHC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Jean Gulliver (BAT) def. Elizabeth Tighe (MHC) 6-1, 6-1
Bates 9, Smith 0
1. Maggie Steiner/Nikki Anderson lost to Alexandra Piacquad/Meg Anderson, 8-1
2. Alanna Dick/Jaimi Inskeep lost to Erika Blauth/Ashley Brunk, 8-6
3. Eunice Zhao/Rachel Canfora lost to Jacquelyn Holmes/Katie Helfgott, 8-3
1. Inskeep lost to Piacquad, 6-0, 6-3
2. Anderson lost to Anderson, 2-6, 6-0 (11-9)
3. Dick lost to Helfgott, 6-2, 6-0
4. Steiner lost to Brunk, 6-2, 6-2
5. Zhao lost to Blauth, 6-1, 6-1
6. Stephanie Bleyendaal lost to Jean Gulliver, 6-0, 6-0