Women’s tennis team sweeps Huskies at USM
|Co-captain Jean Gulliver ’10 teamed up with Jenna Burke ’13 for an 8-2 win at second doubles.|
GORHAM, Maine — The Bates College women’s tennis team moved to 3-0 on the year and still have yet to lose a single match after defeating the University of Southern Maine 9-0 on Friday.
Bates won by default at fifth and sixth singles, and at third doubles. Otherwise, first-year Katie Helfgott (Newton, Mass.) moved up into the No. 1 singles slot and defeated Katelyn Ouellette 6-3, 6-4. First-years Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) and Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) won 8-3 at first doubles, then first-year Jenna Burke (Burlington, Mass.) and senior Jean Gulliver (Falmouth, Maine) won 8-2 at second doubles. Sophomore Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) swept her opponent at No. 2 singles 6-0, 6-0, and first-year Adrienne Jaeger (Bath, Maine) nearly did the same at No. 4 singles, winning 6-1, 6-0.
Bates will play host to MIT on Saturday, starting at 1 p.m.
For more on this story and what’s going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Bates 9, Southern Maine 0
1. Katie Helfgott (B) def. Katelyn Ouellette (SM), 6-3, 6-4
2. Erika Blauth (B) def. Tegan Talbot (SM), 6-0, 6-0
3. Jenna Burke (B) def. Kim Hilchey (SM), 6-1, 6-2
4. Adrienne Jaeger (B) def. Molly Passerini (SM), 6-1, 6-0
5. Bates wins by default
6. Bates wins by default
1. Ashley Brunk/Nicole Russell (B) def. Ouellette/Talbot (SM), 8-3
2. Burke/Jean Gulliver (B) def. Hilchey/Passerini (SM), 8-2
3. Bates wins by default