Men’s tennis beats Brandeis for third straight win
LEWISTON, Maine — The Bates College men’s tennis team scored a key comeback win in doubles play for a 2-1 lead, and went on to defeat visiting Brandeis University 6-3 on Saturday at the Wallach Tennis Center.
Bates, ranked No. 30 nationally and No. 7 in the Northeast, raised its record to 4-1, while the Judges, ranked 14th in the Northeast, dipped to 5-5.
Bates senior Max Berger (Concord, N.H.) and sophomore Jeffrey Beaton (Haverhill, Mass.) teamed up to come back from a 6-1 deficit to post a 9-8(0) win at second doubles. Combined with Bates seniors Zach Fenno (Armonk, N.Y.) and Ryan Mannelly (New Canaan, Conn.) prevailing 8-6 at third doubles, Bates entered singles play with a 2-1 lead. Simon Miller and Nick White of Brandeis got past Bates seniors Amrit Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka) and Michael Reiss (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) 8-5 at first doubles.
Rupasinghe and Reiss both made up for the doubles loss with victories at first and second singles, respectively. with Reiss grinding out a 7-5, 6-7(4), 10-8 decision over Miller. Berger and first-year Matthew Bettles (Taunton, England) also took points for the Bobcats at third and fourth singles. Steven Nieman and Steven Milo won at fifth and sixth singles, respectively, for the Judges.
Bates next plays at Denison on March 26 to start a three-day swing through Ohio.
For more on this story and what’s going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Bates 6, Brandeis 3
1. Simon Miller/Nick White (Brandeis) def Amrit Rupsinghe/Michael Reiss (Bates) 8-5
2. Max Berger/Jeffrey Beaton (Bates) def Steven Milo/Dave Yovanoff (Brandeis) 9-8(0) Came back from down 6-1 in the set. Great win to give us the 2-1.
3. Zach Fenno/Ryan Mannelly (Bates) def Steven Nieman/Michael Tatarsky (Brandeis) 8-6
1. Rupasinghe (Bates) def White (Brandeis) 6-1, 6-4
2. Reiss (Bates) def Miller (Brandeis) 7-5, 6-7(4), 10-8
3. Berger (Bates) def Yovanoff (Brandeis) 6-1, 6-1
4. Matthew Bettles (Bates) def Fred Rozenshteyn (Brandeis) 6-2, 6-0
5. Nieman (Brandeis) def Fenno (Bates) 5-7, 6-1, 10-6
6. Milo (Brandeis) def Beaton (Bates) 6-2, 6-1