Women’s tennis edged by Brandeis for first loss of season
|Erika Blauth ’12 won in three sets at No. 5 singles against Brandeis.|
LEWISTON, Maine — The Bates College women’s tennis team suffered its first loss of the year on Saturday, as visiting Brandeis University edged the Bobcats 5-4 in a non-conference match at the Wallach Tennis Center.
Brandeis (5-5), ranked No. 29 nationally and No. 9 in the Northeast, took two out of three doubles matches and fought off the Bobcats, ranked No. 29 in the Northeast, to a draw in singles play for the win.
Bates (5-1) won at second doubles, with first-years Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) and Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) prevailing 8-6 over Mackenzie Gallegos and Sarah Richman.
Bates senior Alex Piacquad (Yardley, Pa.) defeated the Judges’ Faith Broderick in a super tiebreaker at No. 1 singles, while sophomore Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) required three sets to defeat Nina Levine at No. 5 singles. Russell won Bates another point at sixth singles, but the Judges swept second, third and fourth singles behind Rachel Rosman, Ariana Sanai and Gallegos, respectively.
Bates plays another non-conference match on Tuesday at Babson. Brandeis, coached by Bates graduate Ben Lamanna ’02, will host Rochester in a UAA conference match on March 28.
For more on this story and what’s going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Brandeis 5, Bates 4
1. Faith Broderick/Rachel Rosman (Brandeis) def Meg Anderson/Alex Piacquad (Bates) 8-6
2. Nicole Russell/Ashley Brunk (Bates) def Mackenzie Gallegos/Sarah Richman (Brandeis) 8-6
3. Ariana Sanai/Nina Levine (Brandeis) def Erika Blauth/Katie Helfgott (Bates) 8-3
1. Piacquad (Bates) def Broderick (Brandeis) 6-3, 6-7(0), 10-5
2. Rosman (Brandeis) def Anderson (Bates) 6-0, 6-1
3. Sanai (Brandeis) def Helfgott (Bates) 7-5, 6-2
4. Gallegos (Brandeis) def Brunk (Bates) 6-4, 6-0
5. Blauth (Bates) def Levine (Brandeis) 6-7(4), 6-2, 6-2
6. Russell (Bates) def Richman (Brandeis) 6-3, 6-4