Berger, Beaton lead men’s tennis to win at Denison
GRANVILLE, Ohio — The No. 29 nationally ranked Bates College men’s tennis team scored a 5-4 win at Denison University on Friday, handing the host Big Red their first loss of the season.
Bates (5-1) continues its three-day trip to Ohio with a match at No. 6 Kenyon on Saturday.
Denison (7-1) took a 2-1 lead at the conclusion of doubles play, with the Bobcats scoring their lone doubles point at second doubles, as senior Max Berger (Concord, N.H.) and sophomore Jeffrey Beaton (Haverhill, Mass.) prevailed in a nailbiter, 9-8 (7-5).
Bates rebounded to take all four of the singles matches it needed to earn the win. Senior Amrit Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka) won in two sets over Tom Cawood at first singles; Berger took care of Nate Hobrath 6-2, 6-3 at third singles; first-year Matthew Bettles (Taunton, England) beat Denison’s Evan Verbofsky 6-3, 6-4 at fourth singles; and Beaton won with relative ease at sixth singles, 6-2, 6-2 over Adam Seeley.
Bates 5, Denison 4
1. Amrit Rupasinghe (BATM) def. Tom Cawood (DENM) 6-0, 6-4
2. Matt McErlean (DENM) def. Michael Reiss (BATM) 7-5, 6-2
3. Max Berger (BATM) def. Nate Hobrath (DENM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Matthew Bettles (BATM) def. Evan Verbofsky (DENM) 6-3, 6-4
5. Jared Connolly (DENM) def. Zach Fenno (BATM) 6-2, 4-6, 10-7
6. Jeffrey Beaton (BATM) def. Adam Seeley (DENM) 6-2, 6-2
1. Nate Hobrath/Matt McErlean (DENM) def. Amrit Rupasinghe/Matthew Bettles (BATM) 8-5
2. Max Berger/Jeffrey Beaton (BATM) def. Jared Connolly/Tim Martin (DENM) 9-8 (7-5)
3. Tom Cawood/Adam Seeley (DENM) def. Zach Fenno/Ryan Mannelly (BATM) 8-5