Women’s tennis wins 8-1 at Colby-Sawyer
NEW LONDON, N.H. — The Bates College women’s tennis team won its second straight match and its third in the past four with an 8-1 non-conference victory at Colby-Sawyer College on Monday.
Bates moved to 8-4 on the season, while the host Chargers dropped to 16-5.
Bates led 3-0 after doubles play, as senior Alex Piacquad (Yardley, Pa.) and sophomore Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.) prevailed 8-5 at first doubles, sophomore Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) and first-year Katie Helfgott (Newton, Mass.) won 8-5 at second doubles, and first-years Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) and Jenna Burke (Burlington, Mass.) coasted to an 8-1 win at third doubles.
Anderson moved up to first singles in place of an ailing Piacquad and suffered the Bobcats’ only loss of the day, 6-4, 6-4 against Jen LaChance. Helfgott, Brunk, Blauth, senior Jean Gulliver (Falmouth, Maine) and Burke won at second through sixth singles, respectively, with the latter four not allowing their opponents more than two games in total.
Bates, ranked No. 14 in the Northeast by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, will play another non-conference match at The College of New Jersey, ranked No. 6 in the Northeast, on Wednesday at 10 a.m.
For more on this story and what’s going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
Bates 8, Colby-Sawyer 1
1. Jen LaChance (CSC) def. Meg Anderson (BATES) 6-4, 6-4
2. Katie Helfgott (BATES) def. Hannah White (CSC) 7-6 (9-7), 6-3
3. Ashley Brunk (BATES) def. Claire Toffey (CSC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Erika Blauth (BATES) def. Lauren Turenne (CSC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Jean Gulliver (BATES) def. Carolyn Drake (CSC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Jenna Burke (BATES) def. Siobhan Masse (CSC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Alexandra Piacquad/Meg Anderson (BATES) def. Jen LaChance/Hannah White (CSC) 8-5
2. Erika Blauth/Katie Helfgott (BATES) def. Lauren Turenne/Claire Toffey (CSC) 8-5
3. Ashley Brunk/Jenna Burke (BATES) def. Carolyn Drake/Siobhan Masse (CSC) 8-1