Men’s tennis bounces The College of New Jersey, 8-1
EWING, N.J. — The No. 29 nationally ranked Bates College men’s tennis team won 8-1 on Wednesday in a non-conference match at The College of New Jersey.
The Bobcats moved to 9-4, while the host Lions fell to 8-6.
Bates didn’t allow any of the three doubles matches to get past the four-game mark for the opponent, taking a 3-0 lead into singles play. Winning in straight sets at singles were senior Amrit Rupasinghe (Colombo, Sri Lanka) at No. 1, senior Max Berger (Concord, N.H.) at No. 2, first-year Matthew Bettles (Taunton, England) at No. 3, senior Mike Reiss (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) at No. 4 and first-year Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) at No. 5.
Bates has four NESCAC conference matches remaining in the regular season, starting with a match at Trinity on Saturday at 3 p.m.
For more on this story and what’s going on with the Bates tennis teams, please catch up with us on the team blog at http://batestennis.wordpress.com/
#29 Bates College 8, The College of New Jersey 1
1. Amrit Rupasinghe (BATES) def. Steven Fernandez (TCNJMEN) 6-1, 6-1
2. Max Berger (BATES) def. Stewart Fernandez (TCNJMEN) 6-4, 6-1
3. Matt Bettles (BATES) def. Jonathan Yu (TCNJMEN) 6-3, 6-1
4. Mike Reiss (BATES) def. Dean Thompson (TCNJMEN) 6-1, 6-2
5. Rob Crampton (BATES) def. Keith Goldstein (TCNJMEN) 7-5, 6-4
6. Daniel Lee (TCNJMEN) def. Zach Fenno (BATES) 6-4, 6-3
1. Amrit Rupasinghe/Matt Bettles (BATES) def. Steven Fernandez/Stewart Fernandez (TCNJMEN) 8-4
2. Max Berger/Jeffrey Beaton (BATES) def. TJ Riley/Dean Thompson (TCNJMEN) 8-3
3. Zach Fenno/Rob Crampton (BATES) def. Daniel Lee/Jonathan Yu (TCNJMEN) 8-4