Women’s swimming and diving defeats Wellesley at Conn. College
NEW LONDON, Conn. — The Bates men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams competed at NESCAC opponent Connecticut College on Saturday, in the penultimate meet for the Bobcats before the NESCAC Championships. Wellesley made it a three-team meet for the women. The host Camels both defeated Bates — the men’s score was 183-96, the women’s was 170-118 — while the Bates women notched a 193-99 head-to-head win over Wellesley.
Senior captain Peem Chatikavanij (Bangkok, Thailand) provided one of the men’s team’s highlights with his win in the 50 breast, at 29.39 seconds. Chatikavanij also came in third in the 100 breast (1:05.57).
First-year sensation Won Ho Chang (Seoul, Korea) won the 50-yard butterfly race, in 23.24 seconds. Chang also placed second in the 50 back at 25.58 seconds.
Other top-three performances by the Bates men included:
- Sophomore diver Travis Jones (Ithaca, N.Y.) competed unopposed but well, scoring 231.35 points in the 3-meter and 237.80 in the 1-meter.
- Senior Pat Carroll (North Andover, Mass.) placed second in the 50 free (22.86), then placed third in the 50 fly (24.70).
- Sophomore Andrew Buehler (Kenilworth, Ill.) finished second in the 100 fly (55.44).
- Junior Dan Aupi (Branford, Conn.) came in third in the 50 free (22.92)
- Junior Tom Boniface (Youngstown, Ohio) was third in the 100 free (50.55)
- Sophomore Matt Johns (Seaford, N.Y.) was third in the 100 back (58.41).
First-year Amanda Moore (Shaker Heights, Ohio) won the 50 breaststroke in 31.27 seconds, nipping sophomore teammate Catherine Sparks (New Canaan, Conn.), who was second in 31.32. Moore also tied Sparks, older sister, Nicole Sparks ’05, for the Bates team record with her time. Nicole Sparks swam her 31.27 in 2004. Later in the 100 breaststroke, Moore was second in 1:08.70, while Sparks was third in 1:09.50.
Among other highlights for the Bates women, sophomore Tara Dugan (Wilton, Conn.) and junior Kara Leasure (Los Alamos, N.M.) placed 1-2 in the 1,000 free, at 10:54:57 and 10:56.72, respectively.
Other top-three performances by the Bates women included:
- First-year Emily White (Chestnut Hill, Mass.) took first place in the 3-meter diving at 203.05 points. Junior Jessica Howard (Cumberland Foreside, Maine) won the 1-meter diving with 206.70 points.
- Leasure also placed second in the 400 individual medley, in 4:46.94.
- First-year Emilie Depew (Hudson, Ohio) was second in both the 50 back (29.03) and the 100 back (1:02.16)
- First-year Gabrielle Sergi (Newburyport, Mass.) was second in the 50 free, in 25.23, and was second in the 100 free in 54.39.
- Junior Carole Lupi (Branford, Conn.) was third in the 50 back at 30.89;
- Sophomore Katy Zingale (Sudbury, Mass.) was third in the 100 fly (1:02.11).
- First-year Emilie Geissinger (Darien, Conn.) came in third in the 50 fly (28.16).
Bates competes next Saturday, Feb. 12 in the Maine Event Invitational at Bowdoin. The NESCAC Women’s Championships take place Feb. 18-20 at Williams, while the men’s NESCACs take place the following weekend at Bowdoin.