Men’s tennis opens spring play with 6-3 loss at St. Thomas
|Matt Bettles ’13 (above) and Rob Crampton ’13 helped Bates take a 2-1 lead into singles play in the Bobcats’ spring opener at St. Thomas University.|
MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. — The Bates College men’s tennis team opened the spring season and had its first head-to-head match of the year, at NAIA member St. Thomas University on Tuesday, where the host Bobcats defeated the visiting Bobcats 6-3.
Bates took a 2-1 lead into singles play, thanks to wins at the top two doubles matches. All-NESCAC sophomore Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and sophomore Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) teamed up for an 8-4 win at No. 1 doubles, while first-year Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and senior Sam Woods (Cambridge, N.Y.) notched an 8-5 triumph.
St. Thomas swept the top five singles matches, but sophomore Kyle DeSisto (Cohasset, Mass.) took a point for Bates with a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 6 singles.
Bates continues play in Florida this week at Lynn University in Boca Raton on Wednesday at 2 p.m., then at Florida Tech in Melbourne on Thursday at noon.
St. Thomas 6, Bates 3
Feb. 22, 2011 at Miami Gardens, Fla.
1. Matt Bettles/Rob Crampton (Bates) def. Escarte/Etienne (STU), 8-4
2. Timmy Berg/Sam Woods (Bates) def. Bache/Gayoso (STU), 8-5
3. Jeff Beaton/Kyle DeSisto (Bates) def. by Rifkin/Romero (STU), 8-1
1. Matt Bettles (Bates) def. by Escarte (STU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Timmy Berg (Bates) def. by Gayoso (STU), 6-1, 6-4
3. Rob Crampton (Bates) def. by Rifkin (STU), 3-6, 6-4, 5-2 ret.
4. Jeff Beaton (Bates) def. by Bache (STU), 6-1, 6-0
5. Peter Yanofsky (Bates) def. by Acevedo (STU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Kyle DeSisto (Bates) def. Romero (STU), 6-1, 6-1