Crampton wins point against Div. 2 men’s tennis power Lynn
BOCA RATON, Fla. — The Bates College men’s tennis team took a point away from the fifth-ranked team in Division II, Lynn University, in an 8-1 loss on Wednesday at the Perper Tennis Complex.
The host Fighting Knights, who won the NCAA Division II team championship in 2007, improved to 4-2 on the season.
Bates sophomore Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) defeated Alessandro Sarra 6-2, 6-0 at No. 3 singles. Bates first-year Peter Yanofsky (Belmont, Mass.), according to Lynn Sports Information, was engaged in the best match of the night against George Laffey at No. 5 singles, “two-hour plus epic match. Laffey defeated Yanofsky 6-1 in the first set and came back from a 3-1 deficit in the second to win in the tiebreaker 7-6 (7-4).”
Bates (0-2) continues its weeklong trip to Florida on Thursday with a match against Florida Tech in Melbourne, Fla., starting at 12 p.m.
Lynn University 8, Bates 1
Feb 23, 2011 at Boca Raton, Fla.
1. #27 Willi Wolfer (LUM) def. #14 Matt Bettles (BAT-M) 6-1, 6-1
2. #10 Vlad Cirla (LUM) def. #49 Tim Berg (BAT-M) 6-2, 6-1
3. Rob Crampton (BAT-M) def. #9 Alessandro Sarra (LUM) 6-2, 6-0
4. Benji Kendall (LUM) def. Jeff Beaton (BAT-M) 6-1, 6-0
5. George Laffey (LUM) def. Peter Yanofsky (BAT-M) 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
6. James Dean (LUM) def. Eric Ruta (BAT-M) 6-2, 6-1
1. Alessandro Sarra/Vlad Cirla (LUM) def. Matt Bettles/Rob Crampton (BAT-M) 8-4
2. Willi Wolfer/Alex Voirin (LUM) def. Tim Berg/Sam Woods (BAT-M) 8-0
3. Benji Kendall/George Laffey (LUM) def. Jeff Beaton/Kyle DeSisto (BAT-M) 8-2