Men’s squash battles Middlebury in Hoehn Cup second-round play
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — Middlebury edged the Bates men’s squash team by a 5-4 score in a grueling contest on Saturday in Hoehn Cup (B Division) consolation bracket play at the College Squash Association Men’s Team Nationals, the rival Panthers’ third close win over the Bobcats this season.
A highly unusual five out of nine matches went to five games in the contest, and only one match ended in three games.
A gritty Bobcat team earned all four of its points in five-set marathons: junior Bobby Burns (Greenwich, Conn.) at No. 4, sophomore R.J. Keating (Short Hills, N.J.) at No. 6, senior Doug Compton (West Hartford, Conn.) at No. 8 and sophomore Walter Cabot (Dover, Mass.) at No. 9. Senior Dae Ro Lee (Yongin, South Korea) was nipped 3-2 at No. 7.
The Bobcats (17-11) will face the Navy Midshipmen on Sunday at 2 p.m. at Northeastern University to determine 15th and 16th places in the final national rankings. Middlebury (14-10) will play St. Lawrence for 13th place tomorrow.
Middlebury 5, Bates 4
Feb. 26, 2011 at Harvard
1. Quan, Valentin (M) def. Katz, William R. (B) 11-9,11-6,6-11,11-8
2. Dolan, Jay W (M) def. Echeverria, Nicholas P. (B) 11-5,11-8,11-4
3. Hurst, Parker A. (M) def. Muldoon, Kristian (B) 14-16,11-9,11-4,11-4
4. Cady, Brian B (M) def. by Burns, Robert P. (B) 5-11,11-5,11-9,7-11,11-8
5. Hurst, Spencer D. (M) def. Williams, Patrick (B) 6-11,11-7,11-9,12-10
6. Moore, William T. (M) def. by Keating, R.J. (B) 9-11,11-8,11-8,9-11,11-6
7. Redpath, Cooper E (M) def. Lee, Dae Ro (B) 6-11,4-11,11-4,11-9,11-9
8. DiSesa, Addison H. (M) def. by Compton, Doug (B) 11-8,11-7,9-11,7-11,11-3
9. Ivsin, Chris (M) def. by Cabot III, Walter M. (B) 11-4,11-7,6-11,10-12,11-6
Keep up with all the latest results, including live web streaming of selected matches at http://collegesquashassociation.com/.