Men’s tennis team defeats Kalamazoo at Swarthmore
|Matt Bettles ’13, the third-ranked singles player in the Northeast, defeated Kalamazoo’s Nate Eddy, ranked 14th in the Central Region, 6-4, 6-2 at No. 1 singles. (File photo)|
SWARTHMORE, Pa. — The No. 23 nationally ranked Bates men’s tennis team edged Kalamazoo College 5-4 on Monday in a match played at Swarthmore College, winning the top two doubles matches and the top three singles matches.
Kalamazoo, ranked ninth in Division III’s Central Region, dropped to 0-5 on the season, while Bates, ranked seventh in the Northeast, rose to 5-4.
Bates sophomores Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) and Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) defeated Mark Denenfeld and Nate Eddy by an 8-5 score at first doubles. Bettles defeated the Hornets’ top singles player, Eddy, in straight sets, while Crampton put Denenfeld away in three sets at No. 2 singles.
First-year Tim Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) defeated Tom Cafmeyer 6-2, 6-2 at No. 3 singles. Earlier in doubles play, Berg teamed with senior Sam Woods (Cambridge, N.Y.) for an 8-4 win over Cafmeyer and Alex Dombos at No. 2 doubles.
Bates plays its first NESCAC dual match of the season on March 30, hosting Colby at 4 p.m.
#23 Bates 5, Kalamazoo 4
March 21, 2011 at Swarthmore
1. Matt Bettles/Rob Crampton (BAT-M) def. Mark Denenfeld/Nate Eddy (KZO-M) 8-5
2. Tim Berg/Sam Woods (BAT-M) def. Alex Dombos/Tom Cafmeyer (KZO-M) 8-4
3. Clay Bartelt/Steve Hanselman (KZO-M) def. Ben Bogard/Jeff Beaton (BAT-M) 8-4
1. Matt Bettles (BAT-M) def. Nate Eddy (KZO-M) 6-4, 6-2
2. Rob Crampton (BAT-M) def. Mark Denenfeld (KZO-M) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
3. Tim Berg (BAT-M) def. Tom Cafmeyer (KZO-M) 6-2, 6-2
4. Alex Dombos (KZO-M) def. Jeff Beaton (BAT-M) 6-1, 6-0
5. Steve Hanselman (KZO-M) def. Peter Yanofsky (BAT-M) 6-2, 6-3
6. Mike Korn (KZO-M) def. Ben Bogard (BAT-M) 6-3, 6-3