Women’s tennis wins 2 out of 3 in doubles at No. 30 Brandeis
WALTHAM, Mass. — The Bates College women’s tennis team opened its match Sunday at No. 30 nationally ranked Brandeis by winning two out of three doubles matches, before the Judges swept singles play for a 7-2 non-conference win.
Bates fell to 4-5, while Brandeis, ranked No. 10 in the Northeast Region, rose to 9-3.
Bates junior Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.) and sophomore Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) defeated Brandeis’s Rachel Rosman and Faith Broderick at No. 1 doubles, and all three doubles matches were decided by the minimum two games.
Junior Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) and first-year Kristen Doerer (Madison, Conn.) edged Mackenzie Gallegos and Nina Levine 9-7 at No. 2 doubles, but at third doubles, Brandeis’s Alexa Katz and Roberta Bergstein nipped Bates sophomore Jacqui Holmes (Harvard, Mass.) and sophomore Jenna Burke (Burlington, Mass.) by an 8-6 score.
Doerer played Bates’ most competitive singles match, falling in three sets to Katz at fifth singles.
Bates next faces Amherst in a NESCAC match to be played on the neutral courts of Vassar College, on April 3 at 9 a.m.
Brandeis 7, Bates 2
Mar 27, 2011 at Brandeis
1. Meg Anderson/Ashley Brunk (BATES) def. Rachel Rosman/Faith Broderick (BRAN) 8-6
2. Erika Blauth/Kristen Doerer (BATES) def. Mackenzie Gallegos/Nina Levine (BRAN) 9-7
3. Alexa Katz/Roberta Bergstein (BRAN) def. Jacquelyn Holmes/Jenna Burke (BATES) 8-6
1. Rachel Rosman (BRAN) def. Jacquelyn Holmes (BATES) 6-2, 6-2
2. Faith Broderick (BRAN) def. Meg Anderson (BATES) 6-1, 6-1
3. Mackenzie Gallegos (BRAN) def. Ashley Brunk (BATES) 6-0, 6-0
4. Allyson Bernstein (BRAN) def. Erika Blauth (BATES) 6-3, 6-3
5. Alexa Katz (BRAN) def. Kristen Doerer (BATES) 6-2, 7-6, 7-3
6. Roberta Bergstein (BRAN) def. Jenna Burke (BATES) 6-3, 6-3