No. 14 Bowdoin tips No. 24 men’s tennis in Merrill, 6-3
Kyle DeSisto ’13 continued his tough play in the latter part of the season, winning at sixth singles and nearly winning at third doubles as well.
LEWISTON, Maine — No. 14 nationally ranked Bowdoin edged the No. 24 Bates men’s tennis team 6-3 on Thursday in Merrill Indoor Gymnasium.
Bowdoin took a 3-0 lead after doubles play, despite the Bobcats taking the Polar Bears into extra points in two of the three matches. Oscar Pena and Stephen Sullivan edged Bates sophomores Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) and Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) 9-7 at first doubles, the same score that Casey Grindon and Kent Winingham edged Bates first-year Tim Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and sophomore Kyle DeSisto (Cohasset, Mass.) in third doubles.
The Bobcats took three out of six singles matches, including Berg’s 6-0, 6-2 triumph over Chris Lord at third singles and DeSisto’s 8-6 victory over Eric Chien. Crampton won a three-set battle at second singles over Samuel King.
The host Bobcats (7-9, 2-4 NESCAC) play at Tufts tomorrow at 4 p.m.
The Polar Bears (9-5, 4-3 NESCAC) face Trinity at Harvard tomorrow at 3 p.m.
Bowdoin 6, Bates 3
April 28, 2011 at Bates (Merrill Indoor Gymnasium)
1. Oscar Pena/Stephen Sullivan (Bowdoin) def. Rob Crampton/Matt Bettles (Bates) 9-7
2. Samuel King/Chris Lord (Bowdoin) def. Jeff Beaton/Sam Woods (Bates) 8-2
3. Casey Grindon/Kent Winingham (Bowdoin) def. Tim Berg/Kyle DeSisto (Bates) 9-7
1. Sullivan (Bowdoin) def. Bettles (Bates) 6-3, 6-4
2. Crampton (Bates) def. King (Bowdoin), 6-4, 4-6, 10-3
3. Berg (Bates) def. Lord (Bowdoin) 6-0, 6-2
4. Grindon (Bowdoin) def. Beaton (Bates) 6-0, 6-2
5. Michael Power (Bowdoin) def. Ben Bogard (Bates) 8-4
6. DeSisto (Bates) def. Eric Chien (Bowdoin) 8-6