Men’s squash wins opener at Northeastern
BOSTON — The Bates College men’s squash team opened the 2011-12 season on Friday night with a 7-2 win at Northeastern University, sweeping the top six positions.
Senior captain Bobby Burns (Greenwich, Conn.) swept the Huskies’ John Ghulblikian at the No. 1 spot on the ladder to pace the Bobcats (1-0), rated No. 16 in this week’s College Squash Association rankings. Sophomore captain Kristian Muldoon (Paget, Bermuda) won 3-1 at the No. 2 spot, while juniors R.J. Keating (Short Hills, N.J.) and Eric Bedell (Brooklyn, N.Y.) won by 3-0 margins. First-years Nabil Saleem (Alpharetta, Ga.) and Jason Shrubb (Hamilton, Bermuda) debuted with 3-0 wins at the fifth and sixth spots on the ladder, respectively.
Bates has a busy day on Saturday, with three matches in Cambridge, Mass. The Bobcats play Brown at Harvard at 10am, before heading to MIT to face Connecticut College at 12pm and Wesleyan at 2pm.
Bates 7, Northeastern 2
Nov. 18, 2011 at Northeastern
1. Ghublikian, John I. (N) def. by Burns, Robert P. (B) 11-6,11-7,11-4
2. Dyer, Timothy H. (N) def. by Muldoon, Kristian (B) 9-11,11-1,11-4,11-6
3. Wegman, Michael W. (N) def. by Keating, R.J. (B) 11-5,11-3,11-3
4. Kachur, Max M. (N) def. by Bedell, Eric S (B) 11-6,11-7,11-5
5. Brinkworth, Dennis (N) def. by Saleem, Nabil (B) 11-4,11-9,11-8
6. Berson, Greg (N) def. by Shrubb, Jason A (B) 13-11,11-5,11-5
7. Sajjad, Ahmed (N) def. Fearnley, William T (B) 11-6,11-4,12-10
8. Devoise, Benjamin (N) def. Hackney, Julian (B) 11-5,11-2,8-11,7-11,11-8
9. Berenshtein, Stanislav A. (N) def. by Galvao, Rodney (B) 11-6,12-10,4-11,7-11,11-8
Exh: Sproat, Keith E. (N) def. by Mulholland, James S. (B) 5-11,11-6,11-9,13-11