Ariffin ’15 defeats Trinity’s No. 1; Bates women beat Brown
LEWISTON, Maine — Bates first-year Nessrine Ariffin (Penang, Malaysia) came back from a 2-0 deficit and defeated No. 4 Trinity College’s top player, Catalina Pelaez, 3-2, to highlight the host Bobcats’ efforts in an 8-1 loss to the Bantams Sunday at the Bates Squash Center.
Pelaez, who finished last season as the fourth-ranked player in the College Squash Association, won the first two games by 11-8 and 11-5 scores, but Ariffin roared back to post a stunning 8-11, 5-11, 11-9, 11-5, 11-7 defeat of the 2011 NESCAC Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year and CSA First Team All-American.
Another top player for Trinity, Wee Nee Low, defeated Bates’ First Team All-NESCAC junior captain, Cheri-Ann Parris (St. Philip, Barbados), 3-1 to pace the Bantams. Winning sets in 3-1 losses for the Bobcats were sophomore Ashley Brooks (Roslindale, Mass.) at the No. 4 position and first-year Chloe Mitchell (Chatham, N.J.) at No. 7.
On a very busy Saturday at the Harvard Round Robin, Bates defeated No. 10 Brown by a decisive 7-2 score, with Ariffin, Parris, sophomore Rakey Drammeh (New York, N.Y.), Mitchell, first-year Lesea Bourke (Greenwich, Conn.) and sophomore Jane Mayer (Bronxville, N.Y.) all winning their matches.
The Bobcats then proceeded to sweep Connecticut College 9-0 and defeat Wesleyan 7-2 in a pair of NESCAC matches. Ariffin went undefeated on the day at 3-0, as did Brooks at No. 4. Complete results will be posted when available.
Bates, which will move from 11th to 10th in this week’s CSA team rankings, travels to play at No. 17 Franklin & Marshall on Dec. 3 for a 3pm match.
Trinity 8, Bates 1
Nov. 20, 2011 at Bates Squash Center
1. Ariffin, Nessrine (B) def. Pelaez, Catalina (T) 8-11, 5-11, 11-9, 11-5, 11-7
2. Parris, Cheri-Ann (B) def. by Low, Wee Nee (T) 1-11, 11-8, 11-4, 11-4
3. Kelly, Myriam (B) def. by Rodriguez Acosta, Alicia M. (T) 11-7, 11-9, 11-7
4. Brooks, Ashley M (B) def. by Tidman, Ashley (T) 11-13, 11-4, 11-8, 11-1
5. Matos,Samantha (B) def. by Babjukova, Natalie (T) 11-5, 11-8, 11-4
6. Drammeh, Rakey (B) def. by Pelletier, Jennifer L (T) 11-3, 11-2, 11-9
7. Mitchell, Chloe (B) def. by Jimenez, Pamela L. (T) 7-11, 11-3, 11-7, 11-3
8. Bourke, Lesea (B) def. by Echeverria, Andrea C (T) 11-0, 11-4, 11-1
9. Mayer, Jane W. (B) def. by Hartmeyer, Whitney (T) 11-8, 11-1, 11-5
Exh. Samake, Rokya (B) def. by Wymard, Katie (T) 11-1, 11-0, 11-1
Bates 9, Connecticut College 0
Nov. 19, 2011 at MIT
1. Sargent,Caroline L. (C) def. by Ariffin,Nessrine (B) 11-3,11-7,11-2
2. Puklin,Leah S. (C) def. by Kelly,Myriam (B) 11-1,11-2,11-5
3. Abrams,Laura (C) def. by Brooks,Ashley M (B) 11-5,11-5,11-9
4. Hyslip,Jennifer L (C) def. by Matos,Samantha (B) 11-5,11-8,11-3
5. Nadler,Louise K (C) def. by Drammeh,Rakey (B) 13-11,11-8,11-5
6. Badik,Brittany (C) def. by Mitchell,Chloe (B) 11-4,11-2,11-4
7. Hibbs,Allie B. (C) def. by Bourke,Lesea (B) 11-3,11-5,11-5
8. Mayeux,Naomi (C) def. by Mayer,Jane W. (B) 11-5,11-2,11-4
9. Crutchfield,Ashley F. (C) def. by Samake,Rokya (B) 11-1,11-6,9-11,11-6
Exh. Schlette,Audrey N. (C) def. Betances,Sugeiry (B) 11-1,11-7,11-8
Bates 7, Brown 2
Nov. 19, 2011 at MIT
1. Rahbar,Dori H. (Brown) def by Ariffin,Nessrine (Bates) 11-5,11-6,11-3
2. Domenick,Sarah (Brown) def by Parris,Cheri-Ann (Bates) 11-5,11-7,12-10
3. Shakarshy,Mina (Brown) def Kelly,Myriam (Bates) 11-5,11-8,11-7
4. Elliott-Moskwa,Katherine V. (Brown) def by Brooks,Ashley M (Bates) 11-5,12-10,15-13
5. Schmidt-Fellner,Meredith (Brown) def Matos,Samantha (Bates) 11-5,11-3,9-11,11-5
6. Kohnen,Erika D (Brown) def by Drammeh,Rakey (Bates) 11-6,11-4,10-12,8-11,11-7
7. White,Alexandra L. (Brown) def by Mitchell,Chloe (Bates) 11-8,11-9,11-5
8. Dalury,Brooke G. (Brown) def by Bourke,Lesea (Bates) 11-5,11-5,5-11,5-11,11-5
9. Fleischer,Christina M. (Brown) def by Mayer,Jane W. (Bates) 11-5,11-6,11-7