Records fall as swim teams dominate UNE, Norwich
LEWISTON, Maine — Despite recently returning from their annual grueling training trip to Florida, the Bates men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams swam fast and performed well in dominating wins over visiting University of New England and Norwich University on Saturday at Tarbell Pool.
Head-to-head scores among the squads were as follows:
Norwich 78, UNE 42
Bates 108, UNE 22
Bates 110, Norwich 22
UNE 106, Norwich 16
Bates 116, UNE 38
Bates 142, Norwich 12
The Bates men’s efforts were highlighted by senior Dan Aupi’s school-record-setting performance in the 100-yard individual medley. Aupi’s time of 54.01 seconds beat Tatsuya Sato’s former record, set in 1993, by an impressive 0.90 seconds. Aupi already owns the team 200 IM record.
The women’s team saw a pool record fall, as junior Catherine Sparks (New Canaan, Conn.) finished the 50 breast in 31.84 seconds, .05 better than the previous facility mark set by Connecticut College in 2009.
Junior Travis Jones (Ithaca, N.Y.) set personal records in both the 1-meter and 3-meter diving competitions, with 270.55 points and 277.90, respectively. All three of Bates’ divers set personal records in both events on the day. In the women’s 1-meter, senior Jessica Howard (Cumberland, Maine) scored 212.50 and first-year Megan Lapp (Wellesley, Mass.) scored 152.45, while in the 3-meter, Howard went 216.60 and Lapp 188.75.
Other men’s team highlights included:
- Senior Tom Boniface (Youngstown, Ohio) took first in the 100 fly (53.58) and in the 100 back (56.78).
- Aupi (Branford, Conn.) also won the 50 breast (28.50), the and was on the winning 200 medley relay team, in which he teamed up with senior Alex McKeown (South Windsor, Conn.), sophomore Venkatesh Duvvuri (South Orange, N.J.) and first-year Matthew Gagne (Winnetka, Ill.) for a time of 1:39.95.
- First-year Andrew Briggs (York, Maine) won the 1,000 free in 10:32.05.
- Senior Nathaniel Depew (Hudson, Ohio) won the 200 free in 1:49.81.
- Duvvuri also won the 50 back in 26.41 seconds.
- Junior Nick Karlson (Wayland, Mass.) won the 100 free in 51.41.
- Gagne touched the wall first in the 500 free (5:03.09).
- First-year Will Patton (Asheville, N.C.) won the 50 fly in 25.03.
- Boniface, Gagne, senior Matt Lipoff (Glencoe, Ill.) and Depew won the 200 free relay in 1:31.06.
Other women’s team highlights included:
- A winning 1:58.88 in the 200 medley relay, performed by sophomore Gabrielle Sergi (Newburyport, Mass.), senior Kara Leasure (Los Alamos, N.M.), junior Katy Zingale (Sudbury, Mass.) and first-year Eleanor Briggs (Concord, Mass.).
- Sparks also won the 50 fly in 28.04.
- Senior Emily Tato (Chatham, N.J.) won the 1,000 free in 11:00.90.
- First-year Kristen Barry (West Hartford, Conn.) won the 200 free in 2:01.05.
- Senior Carole Lupi (Branford, Conn.) won the 50 back in 30.79.
- Sophomore Emilie Geissinger (Bismarck, N.D.) won the 50 free in 25.54.
- Leasure touched the wall first in the 500 free, in 5:21.77.
- Sophomore Emily Depew (Hudson, Ohio) won the 100 IM in 1:05.81.
- Sparks, Leasure, Tato and Geissinger won the 200 free relay.
Bates will host NESCAC rival Middlebury tomorrow at 12pm.