Ariffin improves to 10-0 in women’s squash’s loss to Dartmouth
HANOVER, N.H. — The No. 9 Bates women’s squash team came up short by a 7-2 score against No. 8 Dartmouth in a non-conference match in New Hampshire on Sunday afternoon.
First-year Nessrine Ariffin (Penang, Malaysia) won the fourth and fifth games to triumph 3-2 (9-11,12-14,11-9,11-7,12-10) over Corey Schafer in the No. 1 spot to preserve her undefeated record on the season, now at 10-0. In similar fashion, first-year Myriam Kelly (Bronx, N.Y.) triumphed in the No. 3 spot, extending her game to five sets (11-9, 7-11, 11-8, 5-11,12-10) and moving to 7-4 individually on the season.
Sophomore Ashley Brooks (Roslindale, Mass.) nearly missed taking a win from Dartmouth junior Sarah Loucks in the No. 4 spot, having lengthened her game to the full five sets (1-7, 11-3, 6-11, 9-11, 11-9). Rounding out the ladder in the No. 9 spot, first-year Lesea Burke (Greenwich, Conn.) fought tight with Dartmouth first-year Marian Lurio, bringing the game to a final in four sets (12-14,14-12,11-5,11-9).
Bates (8-3) takes on NESCAC rival Colby in a home match at the Bates Squash Facility on Jan. 18 at 6pm.
Dartmouth 7, Bates 2
Jan. 15 at Hanover, N.H.
1. Schafer,Corey N. (D) def. by Ariffin,Nessrine (B), 9-11,12-14,11-9,11-7,12-10
2. Lau,Rebecca (D) def. Parris,Cheri-Ann (B), 11-5,11-5,11-6
3. Turk,Melina C (D) def. by Kelly,Myriam (B), 11-9,7-11,11-8,5-11,12-10
4. Loucks,Sarah (D) def. Brooks,Ashley M (B), 11-7,11-3,6-11,9-11,11-9
5. Morris,Oona R (D) def. Matos,Samantha (B), 11-6,11-3,15-13
6. Balch,Kensy (D) def. Drammeh,Rakey (B), 11-7,11-9,11-6
7. Darling,Helena S.D. (D) def. Mitchell,Chloe (B), 12-10,11-9,11-9
8. Nimmo,Katherine (D) def. Bragg,Alison H (B), 11-2,11-7,11-3
9. Lurio,Marian S. (D) def. Bourke,Lesea (B), 12-14,14-12,11-5,11-9
Exh. Watson,Julia (D) def. Samake,Rokya (B), 11-6,11-8,11-5