Burns win not enough as St. Lawrence takes Bates 8-1
CANTON, N.Y. — The No. 19 Bates men’s squash team fell to No. 12 St. Lawrence 8-1 Saturday afternoon. In the No. 1 spot, senior Bobby Burns (Greenwich, Conn.) defeated St. Lawrence sophomore Vir Seth in four sets (14-12,6-11,11-7,11-9) which would prove to be Bates’ lone point in the match.
First-year Andy Cannon (Greenwich, Conn.) lost in dramatic fashion in the No. 5 spot against fellow first-year Christopher Fernandez. Cannon won his first set in a tiebreaker (12-14), then dropped the second set 11-7. Cannon took the third set 8-11, but failed to win the tiebreaker in the fourth set, forcing fifth set to complete the marathon match. Cannon was defeated 11-4 to give St. Lawrence the point. Junior Walter Cabot (Dover, Mass.) sprinted to a 2-0 lead in his game before dropping the final three sets to first-year Duncan Maxwell (4-11,7-11,11-6,11-9,11-6).
Bates also played perennial power Western Ontario Saturday afternoon. Results from that match will be updated when available.
Bates plays No. 6 Cornell at 12pm and No. 24 Hamilton at 2pm on Sunday. Both games are being hosted by Hamilton.
St. Lawrence 8, Bates 1
Jan. 21, 2012 at St. Lawrence University
1. Seth,Vir (SL) def. by Burns,Robert P. (B), 14-12,6-11,11-7,11-9
2. Ogilvy,Kyle H. (SL) def. Muldoon,Kristian (B), 11-8,11-2,12-10
3. Khan,Ibrahim O. (SL) def. Keating,R. J. (B), 11-4,11-4,11-7
4. Riedelsheimer,Sebastian S. (SL) def. Bedell,Eric S (B), 11-5,12-10,11-8
5. Fernandez,Christopher (SL) def. Cannon,Andy (B), 12-14,11-7,8-11,12-10,11-4
6. Maxwell,Duncan O. (SL) def. Cabot III,Walter M. (B), 4-11,7-11,11-6,11-9,11-6
7. Campo,Will N (SL) def. Born,David (B), 11-5,11-4,11-4
8. Merchant,Amay (SL) def. Shrubb,Jason A (B), 11-7,11-4,11-5
9. Badali,Michael (SL) def. Saleem,Nabil (B), 11-2,11-2,12-10
exh. Lynn,Peter M. (SL) def. Fearnley,William T (B), 11-6,11-9,13-11