Women’s track breaks Bates record in distance medley relay
BOSTON and MEDFORD, Mass. — The Bates women’s track and field team trimmed a hefty 6.37 seconds off the team record in the distance medley relay on Saturday at the BU Valentine Invitational, during a busy two-meet day for the Bobcats.
Running on Boston University’s banked track, sophomore Kallie Nixon (Medfield, Mass.) ran the leadoff 1,200-meter leg, followed by senior Tina Tobin (Lowell, Mass.) in the 400, first-year Sarah Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) in the 800 and junior Bud Arens (Weymouth, Mass.) in the final 1,600-meter leg, for a final time of 11:56.92. The time was sixth overall among all divisions (North Carolina State won the event in 11:38.69), and third among Division III squads, and was better than any previous performance in Division III entering this weekeend.
The team’s former indoor DMR record, 12:03.29, was recorded in 2007 by Katie Bash ’10, Izzy Alexander ’09, Jen Caban ’07 and Kathryn Moore ’07 — the All-America quartet that finished eighth at the 2007 NCAA indoor championships.
A larger contingent of Bobcats competed at the Tufts Invitational nearby. Highlights from the meet included:
- Senior captain Taylor Piers (Falmouth, Maine) won the long jump in 15-10.5, then placed third in the triple jump at 33-2.5.
- Sophomore Devin Tatro (Haverhill, Mass.) took first place in the mile at 5:31.81, followed in third place by sophomore Tara Notarianni (Johnston, R.I.) in 5:37.72.
- Junior Kate DeAngelis (Lewiston, Maine) won the 600-meter run in 1:47.81. First-year Amelia Oliver (Potomac, Md.) came second in 1:50.77, followed in third by first-year Michelle Devoe (Old Lyme, Conn.) in 1:56.05.
- Senior Juliana Kirkland (Turner, Maine) placed third in the weight throw, at 38-9.5.
- Sophomore Angeleque Hartt (Bronx, N.Y.) placed third in the 60-meter dash, in 8.34 seconds.
- Sophomore Madeline Smit (Lawrenceville, N.J.) finished third in the 60-meter hurdles, in 9.93 seconds, one of four Bobcats in the top eight.
- Senior captain Lizzie Carleton (Westborough, Mass.) placed fourth in the long jump (15-0.5).
- Sophomore Kristen Poulin (Freeport, Maine) claimed fourth place in the 200 meters, at 28.93 seconds.
- Junior Erin Augulewicz (Eliot, Maine) placed fourth in the triple jump at 32-6.5.
- Sophomore Emily Wiener (Portland, Ore.) won her heat and placed fifth in the 800, at 2:35.31.
- First-year Colby Gail (Topsham, Maine) was eighth out of 24 in the shot put, at 32-0.
- Junior Liz Schulze (San Diego, Calif.) was seventh out of 21 in the 3,000, at 11:16.94.
Bates next competes at the New England Division III Indoor Track & Field Championships, held Friday, Feb. 17 at Smith College in Northampton, Mass.