Men’s tennis scores three points at No. 6 UC Santa Cruz
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. — The Bates College men’s tennis team opened the spring season on Tuesday with a 6-3 defeat at No. 6 nationally ranked UC Santa Cruz, with the No. 26 Bobcats winning a pair of singles matches and one doubles match.
Sophomore Timmy Berg (Bradenton, Fla.) and first-year Pierre Planche (Natick, Mass.) won by a convincing 8-2 score at second doubles, but the host Banana Slugs took a 2-1 lead into singles play.
Bates junior All-American Matt Bettles (Taunton, England) defeated the Slugs’ Erich Koenig, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 2 singles, and junior Rob Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) also won in straight sets at third singles, with a 7-5, 6-2 defeat of Andre Halabi. Berg’s match against Devin Nerenberg at No. 1 singles was the only match of the day to require an extra set, with Nerenberg prevailing in the tiebreaker.
Bates (0-1) plays at the University of Redlands on Friday at 2pm Pacific, followed by a match at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps on Saturday at 2pm.
UC Santa Cruz 6, Bates 3
Feb. 21, 2012 at UC Santa Cruz
1. Erik Rosner/Ian Stanley (UCSC) def. Rob Crampton/Matt Bettle (Bates), 8-5
2. Devin Nerenberg/Elias Scandalis (UCSC) def. by Timmy Berg/Pierre Planche (Bates), 8-2
3. Andre Halabi/Erich Koenig def. Jeff Beaton/Dylan Reffe (Bates), 8-4
1. Devin Nerenberg (UCSC) def. Timmy Berg (Bates) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0(8)
2. Erich Koenig (UCSC) def. by Matt Bettles (Bates) 6-2, 6-4
3. Andre Halabi (UCSC) def. by Rob Crampton (Bates) 7-5, 6-2
4. Erik Rosner (UCSC) def. Pierre Planche (Bates) 6-2, 6-1
5. Bryce Bettwy (UCSC) def. Jeff Beaton (Bates) 6-3, 6-3
6. Sam Rogers (UCSC) def. Dylan Reffe (Bates) 6-2, 6-0