Mandzhukova wins in No. 1 singles at No. 28 Redlands
REDLANDS, Calif. — The Bates College women’s tennis team got a win at No. 1 singles while falling by an 8-1 team score in a match at the No. 28 nationally ranked University of Redlands on Thursday. The Bobcats drop to 1-1 on their Southern California trip, following Monday’s 6-3 defeat of Occidental College.
After trading wins in the first two, hard-fought sets with Redlands’ Ceara Sumida, Bates first-year Elena Mandzhukova (Lisbon, Portugal) won 10-3 in the tiebreaker to score Bates’ lone point. Most of the other singles matches were similarly competitive, most notably sophomore Lucy Brennan’s (Wellesley, Mass.) three-set loss at No. 6 singles, and first-year Audrey Grauer’s (Encinitas, Calif.) 6-4, 6-3 defeat at fifth singles.
Bates (1-1) plays at No. 7 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps on Friday in Claremont, Calif., at 10am Pacific.
University of Redlands 8, Bates 1
Feb. 23, 2012 at Redlands, Calif.
1. Jessica Ly/Madison Morton (UR) def. Elena Mandzhukova/Meg Anderson (Bates), 8-2
2. Ceara Sumida/Julia Pollak (UR) def. Erika Blauth/Kristen Doerer (Bates), 8-2
3. Julia Galbraith/Paige Press (UR) def. Jacqui Holmes/Lucy Brennan (Bates), 8-3
1. Mandzhukova (Bates) def. Sumida (UR) 7-5, 4-6, 10-3
2. Morton (UR) def. Anderson (Bates), 6-2, 6-4
3. Press (UR) def. Holmes (Bates), 6-1, 6-3
4. Galbraith (UR) def. Blauth (Bates), 6-2, 6-2
5. Pollak (UR) def. Audrey Grauer (Bates), 6-4, 6-3
6. Katherine Guimapang (UR) def. Brennan (Bates), 4-6, 6-2, 11-9