Bettles, Crampton both score singles wins at No. 15 Redlands
REDLANDS, Calif. — The Bates men’s tennis team again received points from juniors Matt Bettles and Rob Crampton at second and third singles, as the Bobcats fell by a 7-2 team score at the University of Redlands on Friday.
Redlands, ranked No. 15 in Division III, won all three doubles matches by an 8-5 score, but as they did in Wednesday’s 6-3 loss at UC Santa Cruz, Bettles (Taunton, England) and Crampton (Wilton, Conn.) both won in singles, in a pair of drawn-out battles. Bettles defeated Nick Cummins 5-7, 7-5, 11-9 at second singles, and Crampton outlasted Mark Bloom at third singles in an equally long match, 6-7(5), 6-3, 12-10.
Bates, ranked No. 26 in Division III, wraps up its visit to Southern California with men’s and women’s matches at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps on Saturday.
University of Redlands 7, Bates 2
Feb. 24, 2012 at Redlands
1. Patrick Lipscomb/Mark Bloom (UR) def. Rob Crampton/Matt Bettles (B) 8-5
2. Nick Cummins/Connor Hyde (UR) def. Timmy Berg/Pierre Planche (B) 8-5
3. Gram Leahy/Anish Nanda (UR) def. Jeff Beaton/Dylan Reffe (B) 8-5
1. Lipscomb (UR) def. Berg (B), 7-5, 6-2
2. Bettles (B) def. Cummins (UR), 5-7, 7-5, 11-9
3. Crampton (B) def. Bloom (UR), 6-7(5), 6-3, 12-10
4. Hyde (UR) def. Beaton (B), 6-1, 6-1
5. Darren Dahl (UR) def. Planche (B), 6-2, 6-3
6. Nanda (UR) def. Reffe (B), 7-6(2), 6-3