Women’s tennis beats NYU, 5-1, for third straight win
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. — The Bates women’s tennis team won its third straight match in impressive fashion on Saturday, rolling past New York University 5-1 at the Middlebury Invitational.
The Bobcats (4-2) will face Middlebury on Sunday starting at 8:30am, in their first NESCAC match of the season.
Bates swept doubles play for a 3-0 lead heading into singles play, including an 8-1 win at No. 2 doubles by senior Erika Blauth (Camden, Maine) and sophomore Kristen Doerer (Madison, Conn.).
The Bobcats needed only two points in singles to clinch the win, and they received them at No. 2, where senior Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.) won 6-2, 6-2, and at No. 3, where junior Jacqui Holmes (Harvard, Mass.) won 6-1, 7-5. The Violets (0-2) got their one point at No. 1 singles, where Mariella Tzakis outlasted first-year Elena Mandzhukova (Lisbon, Portugal) 4-6, 6-4 (10-4).
Bates 5, NYU 1
March 10, 2012 at Middlebury
1. Elena Mandzhukova/Meg Anderson (Bates) def. Mariella Tzakis/Hannah Blau (NYU) 8-5
2. Erika Blauth/Kristen Doerer (Bates) def. Ramya Pokala/Megan Moore (NYU) 8-1
3. Nicole Russell/Ashley Brunk (Bates) def. Alexandra Ziarko/Katie Andrew (NYU) 8-3
1. Tzakis (NYU) def. Mandzhukova (Bates), 4-6, 6-4 (10-4)
2. Anderson (Bates) def. Blau (NYU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Jacqui Holmes (Bates) def. Pokala (NYU) 6-1, 7-5
4. Blauth (Bates) did not finish vs. Moore (NYU) (6-1, 3-4)
5. Audrey Grauer (Bates) did not finish vs. Ziarko (NYU) (6-2, 1-0)
6. Lucy Brennan (Bates) did not finish vs. Andrew (NYU) (3-0)